Concering the graphics and 3D...

#1Board_hunter567Posted 6/15/2010 9:38:32 PM
Would a non-3D (as in the effect, not polygonal) game have the potential to push more out of the system?

I'm no expert in 3D gaming (hence the question), but doesn't it require more resources to generate 3D images, or am I completely mistaken?
#2AndreLeGeantPosted 6/15/2010 9:41:51 PM
It actually does require more power to generate the effect. Whether the 3D effect could be abandoned and more power be made available for visuals would, I believe, depend on the 3DS' architecture.
---
RIP Mitsuharu Misawa, 1962-2009. You were one of the best.
#3Grunt40Posted 6/15/2010 9:43:11 PM
yes. I think when it runs in 3D is pretty much has to run 2 games, or at least put it on 2 screens which requires a decent amount of power. I'd imagine it would be pretty powerful, but seeing as Crysis 2 is running on the 360, I don't think that it would make it PS3 or 360 quality
---
"The way IW designed it, the more mentally handicapped you are, the better you play."
kidersx on MW2
#4AndreLeGeantPosted 6/15/2010 9:45:05 PM
It must render the screen twice. This is somewhat similar to how split-screen multiplayer requires the screen to be rendered up to 4 times. While this results in the visuals not being as sharp as they could otherwise be, I don't think people will say that Goldeneye or Perfect Dark looked considerably worse than games with no multiplayer on the N64.
---
RIP Mitsuharu Misawa, 1962-2009. You were one of the best.
#5Board_hunter567(Topic Creator)Posted 6/15/2010 9:50:13 PM
I thought so.

I actually read the specs again, and this caught my eye.
"800x240 pixel resolution (400 pixels are allocated for each eye to enable 3D viewing)"

So, I'd imagine that a non-3D game would run in 400x240, which could theoretically allow room for better visuals.
This is all, as you said, dependent on how the 3DS works internally.
#6eli2112Posted 6/15/2010 9:51:27 PM
It pushes the graphics processor but not the that much the CPU....

So I suppose you could have better graphics effects on a non-3D game. But considering it is probably optimized for 3D it may not be too substancial a difference to warrant game developers prefering to make them 2D
#7relsoftPosted 6/15/2010 10:00:18 PM
Would a non-3D (as in the effect, not polygonal) game have the potential to push more out of the system?

I'm no expert in 3D gaming (hence the question), but doesn't it require more resources to generate 3D images, or am I completely mistaken?

Even the DS has a dedicated 3d gfx core (and because the 3ds would be compatible? with the DS, they most likely still supports the GBA OAM (used for 3d rendering)). So basically, the speed depends on the fillrate itself.

BTW, most good games for the DS uses the 3d core to draw 2d sprites as the 2d engine limits itself to 128 sprites per screen.
---
My free DS homebrews: http://rel.betterwebber.com
Space Impakto DS video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuPRiI41BBs