What's the real appeal?

#21tanuki suitPosted 6/16/2010 6:49:16 AM
The power of the 3DS compared to a current DS is enough reason for me to want to upgrade. The glassesless 3D stuff is an awesome bonus. Another obvious selling point for me is the apparent even greater third party support the 3DS is getting compared to the DS.

Also encouraging, but maybe besides the point a little, is how Nintendo focused on more hardcore titles rather than casual games when talking about the lineup that was in development for the 3DS.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/Tanuki_Suit/
#22shadyelfPosted 6/16/2010 6:49:51 AM
Speak for yourself, I haven't played Ocarina of Time and some others of the remakes. When those games were out I either lived in a country where we didn't get a lot of games or my parents cleverly hid them from me.
---
?
#23DucePosted 6/16/2010 6:53:33 AM
That launch lineup is weak can do without the ports and remakes new ip please.
#24GeistPosted 6/16/2010 6:55:39 AM
For me I'm looking at it from the map point of view. With 3D it will be possible to add true depth to game maps. Going above and under things that normally would have looked odd or be out of camera shot will now look better and play smoother.

---
Try looking into that place where you dare not look! You'll find me there, staring out at you!
#25GencoilPosted 6/16/2010 6:57:33 AM
Well, the appeal lies mostly in a richer visual experience. There's also improved depth perception, which I think will matter more than you think. I'll use Super Mario Galaxy as an example. Sometimes I have difficulties judging where I need to position Mario to successfully jump on an enemy's head, or hit a "?"-block. With 3D the distance between objects will be more obvious. When something approaches me, it will LITERALLY approach me instead of just becoming bigger.

---
www.klustr.net | Contra Database - www.klustr.net/contra | PSN ID: Gencoil
#26DevilroachPosted 6/16/2010 6:58:47 AM
Yeah, I found ironic how Nintendo is hyping a system almost purely on graphics.
#27TediousMattPosted 6/16/2010 7:05:55 AM
I don't care about graphics, but I'm glad it's improved for the 3DS. Think about 3D with sharp edges (that would look really awkward).

The larger cartridge capacity, 3D visuals and potentially being able to play all the new handheld games on one system (just because there is no huge gap between 3DS and PSP). It's the awesome experience of the DS I've known and loved, just significantly enhanced with no sacrifice. How is that not appealing?
---
Yuji Kaido hates black people. And it makes Jesus cry. T^T
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o2/rascalous/PhoenixWrightPS3Sales.gif
#2819darkdenizen92Posted 6/16/2010 7:06:21 AM

That launch lineup is weak can do without the ports and remakes new ip please.

Remember when the DS first came out? The best titles were remakes. I think its just a tradition to start off a new platform with recognizable characters. Show a 3DS and slap Snake on it and you get a happy crowd, show a 3DS and try and introduce a new character, you won't nearly get the same amount of enthusiasm that Snake created over 23 years. Actually if you just look at the amount of time each IP has been around and think if its already installed fanbase it is obvious that the risk is considerably lower then a new IP on a new console.

Also this has also been an industry trend lately. More games are becoming sequels or ports/remakes then there are new IPs. Its not a Nintendo thing, just good business.
---
Consoles are like girls, its what you put in them that makes them fun.
#2919darkdenizen92Posted 6/16/2010 7:09:11 AM

Yeah, I found ironic how Nintendo is hyping a system almost purely on graphics.

Did you see the press conference? They hardly talked about graphics as much as they talked about improved levels of navigation. This IMO is totally different, but I can see how they can be viewed as the same thing. However the 3D aspect improves control more so then it improves visuals, presumably.
---
Consoles are like girls, its what you put in them that makes them fun.