3DS = Dreamcast quality - Digital Foundry

#1FenderMasterPosted 6/16/2010 4:21:27 AM
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-nintendo-3ds

i know alot of people here seem to think the handheld is on a par with the gamecube or Wii, but I'm afraid not, it appears it is somewhere between the DC and PS2, still very impressive though.
---
SF IV Main: Zangief, alts Ken, Guile, Juri and Makoto
Weak like kitten
#2ChargrilledPosted 6/16/2010 4:29:37 AM
a lot of rumour, 'so-and-so told me', insider gossip and speculation in that thread.

they dont 'know' any of the internal details. they dont even know for certain that tegra isnt in there, or couldnt be added.
eg. if it isnt in there and i were nvidia, i would be rabidly trying to get my chipset inside a machine which is now looking to sell millions.
#3FantomexXPosted 6/16/2010 4:29:37 AM
Ah.. so the DS or 3DS is not just going to be a prettier DS but its getting a graphical processing power overhaul??

I guess considering that the cartridge size will be 2GB max, they will be able to do quite a bit with that kind of space. Will the graphics surpass PSP??
---
[Super Smash Bros. Brawl FC: Excel 0774-3945-1042]
[ XBL G/T: Sephiria Arks ] [ PSN ID: Xeriak ]
#4poompaPosted 6/16/2010 4:35:32 AM
According to the ign preview of mgs: " The graphics look on par with (or even better
than) the PlayStation 2 version of Snake Eater
developers told us prior to the debut of the 3DS that the hardware is well beyond Wii and
approaching 360/PS3 capabilities with what
the system can do, and when you see this
demo in action you can see why they would
have said that."
#5KeijiKGPosted 6/16/2010 4:45:17 AM
Considering most of the games are 400x240 "doubled", it's kind of hard to tell.
---
"You haven't heard of the new gameplay mechanic? The more times you use a certain move, the weaker it gets"
Sounds like someone never paid attention
#6FenderMaster(Topic Creator)Posted 6/16/2010 4:54:09 AM
Digital foundry is always dead on, I've been following their hardware and cross platform ports analysis for a year now. The MGS 3 demo wasn't playable, nor was the kid icarus demo, and the KI demo was isn't Wii quality, and certainly not nearing 360/PS3

you can tell by looking at in game footage that it's sub PS2, but greater than DC quality.

look at the Mario Kart characters, track geometry and kart models, look at the Kid Icarus character model.

It's better than the (5 year old) PSP for sure. But saying better than the Wii, almost PS3 quality is b/s

Nintendo doesn't roll like that, they've always used outdated, cheap technology, repackaged in interesting ways, and turned a profit on their hardware, sold at less than $250...

anyone who thinks they can shrink a Wii, or (near) PS3 down, make it output in 3D, and sell it on for less than $250 and still turn a profit, is deluded.
---
SF IV Main: Zangief, alts Ken, Guile, Juri and Makoto
Weak like kitten
#7KeijiKGPosted 6/16/2010 4:59:23 AM
I'd say more tech savvy. It doesn't cost much to get a GPU that (geometrically) performs on the level of PS3 or 360 these days actually, especially when you consider the costs the manufacturer pays.

It's the Parallax Screens that are going to drive up the costs because they've yet to reach a mass market.
---
"You haven't heard of the new gameplay mechanic? The more times you use a certain move, the weaker it gets"
Sounds like someone never paid attention
#8lfritPosted 6/16/2010 5:01:09 AM
I completely agree with Digital Foundry's analysis.

Keep in mind that the 3DS is a handheld, so it's smaller screens allow it to "hide" it's weaknesses better, but saying the 3DS has Wii graphics is ridiculous. Putting it at GC level is stretching it a little. The environment models are not detailed enough, IMO

That being said, I am impressed by some of the character models shown, assuming no touchups were done. Pit looks pretty good from what we've seen, and if the RE:R screens are legit/not CGI, the 3DS is more than powerful enough to suit my wants/needs.
#9kenio8187Posted 6/16/2010 5:04:48 AM

It's better than the (5 year old) PSP for sure. But saying better than the Wii, almost PS3 quality is b/s

It's WAY better then the PSP, however, it's not at the Wii or PS3 level.

Nintendo doesn't roll like that, they've always used outdated, cheap technology, repackaged in interesting ways, and turned a profit on their hardware, sold at less than $250...

Look at the actual technology in the 3DS, the nVidia chip is not outdated or cheap technology. It's rather powerful and new. It's also rather expensive which makes me think the 3DS will be expensive. That chip gets it really close to the gamecube technology. I wouldn't even be surprised if it is at gamecube level graphics.

---
Lol at this user--> http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=1337
http://i42.tinypic.com/a2x8qp.gif http://imgur.com/JWR5N.gif http://imgur.com/Bnng1.jpg
#10DevilroachPosted 6/16/2010 5:05:49 AM
The geometry (polygons) generally looks like Dreamcast level, yet it appear to do some things (Sf4, MGS..) that i don't think the DC would be able to do.

Will the graphics surpass PSP??

If "surpassing the PSP" means producing better graphics than Chain of Olympus, hasn't the Metal Gear and the Ubisoft demos already done that?
Surpassing the PSP , per se, isn't a big deal; doing so while keeping the battery drain under control and rendering in stereo 3d, is another thing entirely.

well beyond Wii and
approaching 360/PS3 capabilities with what
the system can do, and when you see this
demo in action you can see why they would
have said that.

I love how they are trying to justify their completely asinine earlier rumors.

Anyone with the slightest hint of a clue would have know that there was no way they would release a Ps360 level machine for a number of reasons.

Can't spell ignorant...