Satoru Iwata claimed that Apple was now the company's main competitor...

#11JombieJthm(Topic Creator)Posted 6/16/2010 8:22:38 AM
I don't know why. iPhone is a phone 1st. And not a true gaming handheld. Going after iPhone is like Nintendo going after the PC market.

That's what confused me.
---
It's the moment when your entire body is screaming at you to stop, and you think there's a realistic chance you might die!
#12shadyelfPosted 6/16/2010 8:24:15 AM
There's also the iPod Touch you know.
---
?
#13HisuroKunPosted 6/16/2010 8:29:10 AM
Apple will never top Sony/Nintendo in the video games industry, least of all handhelds. Never. Steve Jobs can go die.
---
I'm still not interested in buying Gears of Mass Effect's Creed 2: Among Thieves.
CHOOSE YOUR HERO NOW OR WE KILL A DOG.
#14KaneBlueriverPosted 6/16/2010 8:38:03 AM
Well, some JP gaming companies, Such as squeenix, are developing games exlusives for the iphones it seems. They're also porting games. Recent one supposely would be Final Fantasy Tactics - The war of the lion. 3rd part consol/handheld developers are more or less interested in the iphone. So that might be one reason why Nintendo finds them as a competitor. PSP wasn't much of a competition in Japan until recently.
#15PaperBettaFishPosted 6/16/2010 8:41:58 AM
Until the iPhone gets off the AT&T network, I don't its proper to say that any video game company should consider it competition. Right now the iPhone and iPad have a limited market, and while it may seem like "billions" of people have one, that's not reality.
---
Had commercials? what like asian fujitsu air conditioner ads or sumthing? -ChaosCloud
#16Sarria22Posted 6/16/2010 8:50:49 AM
Whether or not farmville has a lot of content to it or anything, it is STILL making HUGE amounts of money for the people involved. Thats why it qualidfies as competition, people are spending money on zynga's game on apples product instead of anyone's game on nintendo's
---
[=[ ]=] D (+[ ]::) PSP
[+[ ]::] S -=Sarria Yaffle=-
#17YomachaserPosted 6/16/2010 10:07:07 AM
Apple will never top Sony/Nintendo in the video games industry, least of all handhelds. Never. Steve Jobs can go die.

You must not read much iphone/ipod touch/ipad has had a bigger slice of the handheld gaming market that Sony for a while now.

The industry is shifting the same way it did when SEGA left the hardware scene and Microsoft came in only this time it's Sony declining rapidly and Apple accending and if that bothers you be prepared to cry as google is moving a content box called google tv into the living room space and they have been quietly buying into gaming for a bit so a google game box is probably only a few years away too and android is getting into gaming pretty fast too.

In a few years the handheld scene could be nintendo,apple,google and sony as software as a vendor, it happens.
#18aperture123Posted 6/16/2010 10:28:28 AM
From my perspective, I'd just like to say that throughout the years, it isn't like Nintendo hasn't been around the block.

They have had tons of great games, and have been in the minds of children way before sony and Microsoft, and have suffered failures and successes plenty of times.

They've also experimented in terms of appeal to crowds of 'casual gamers' (a good move coming from a core gamer, since we can use them for generating huge cash flow from crappy games, cash for truly good games like the lineup we just saw at e3), and Apple in my opinion I don't see as having the experience that can enable them to take on Nintendo.

For me, Apple = Sony and Microsoft. Sony does video games, but that is along with multimedia, video, audio, and such. Microsoft is the same, but in terms of Personal Computers. All apple has had was computers, audio, and now phones. Games are NOT the root of profit in apple. The only profiteers are the third party game makers for Apple APP stores.

Seriously, I think Nintendo was right. Sony is dropping (or seems to be) out of the handhelds, and Microsoft isn't up to anything new (lol, kinect). All that's left is Apple, stealing away third party developers making ALL ORIGINAL games. Why not have such developers making REAL games for Nintendo?

So in the end, I see Nintendo struggling because of what I saw in e3. When Microsoft went up, half the games were PC + XBOX + PS....no wii. Only a slice of it was ever to Nintendo. Then when Nintendo went up, they had new games exclusive for Nintendo. But most (if not all) were developed by Nintendo. Bioware wasn't there, Ubisoft wasn't there, and no other third party developers were stepping in. Apple however, has THOUSANDS of third parties making tons of apps every day. Imagine what Nintendo could really dish out with new parties and new games. Conker to come back. Or maybe somebody new, an all original character even as great as zelda/dk/mario/pikin/you-name-it. So for this reason, I applaud Nintendo declaring war on Apple.

So far, Nintendo really has never lost any real console wars. So buckle up Apple, you're in for a real treat.
---
Insert
diamond fc: 2107 0530 7039 heart gold fc: 0045 5857 7297