Call me crazy but I think Nintendo should drop the Touch Screen.

#1SyntaxBananaZPosted 6/16/2010 2:30:14 PM
Make the top screen larger, drop the touch screen, add a second slide pad and call it something other than 3DS. Before you start lighting your torches and grabbing ye pitchforks, hear me out.

Larger screen. Since Nintendo is now bring movies to the 3DS, a 3.5" screen is way too small to view movies and there was a reason why Nintendo made the DSiXL, because the bigger the screen, the happier people will be.

Drop the touch screen. Why? Lets face it, the 3D is a major focus for this system. Not using the 3D screen, aka the touch screen, seems to defeat the purpose of making a game for the system. The touch screen seems to be heading in the direction of just becoming another screen for menus and just used as a touch controller.

Add a second Slide Pad. This is what the PSP decided not to do and camera controls seem to be flunky in some games. With a second Slide Pad, you add more functions for aiming in FPS games, camera controls, C-stick like buttons, and more.

Yes I know, dropping the touch screen will mean no backwards compatibility for DS games, but marketing this as a new handheld will not create the mindset that this is just a GB to GBA kind of upgrade. No touch screen will also mean smaller size and give more room for hardware improvements.

I love Nintendo but I frankly don't think the 3D effects warrant a new system. Sure it has improved graphics, but why not expand on that and make it even greater?
---
R.I.P Team Fortress 2 updates on the Xbox 360.
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/03/steam-mac/
#2ohh42Posted 6/16/2010 2:32:28 PM
I like the touch screen. Good for innovative games like Kirby Canvas Curse and fun tools like Flipnote Studio
---
You know Nintendo's a beast when Sony has a great conference and they poop on them with 2 games - NitemareNS
GT: Ragtag 21
#321_Schizoid_ManPosted 6/16/2010 2:33:45 PM
ok, i'll call you crazy....YOU ARE EFFFIN' CRAZY MAN!!!! Drop the backwards compatibility? i mean WTF!? didn't you enjoy any game on your old DS or what?
---
me, me, me....and you you you you.....god only knows it's not what we would choose.
#4OldDirtyCRPosted 6/16/2010 2:34:21 PM
You don't think the 3ds warrents a new system but the ds lite/dsi/ds xl do?

The original DS was a monstrosity. Absolutely ridiculous and huge. The ds lite should never have existed and thats how the DS should have looked to begin with. Same with the Dsi and DS XL.

The 3ds is the first system that actually adds something major to the table instead of just making the system prettier.
#5ShadowTheHHFanPosted 6/16/2010 2:36:23 PM
Why is everyone so obsessed with TWO sliders?

This isn't a console, we're talking about a portable gaming system, we don't need FPSers and a huge screen.

Besides, the touch screen works wonders for a FPS.
---
Brawl is like ZSS' breasts. Well rounded for casual players.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=helEmvwETHU
#6sati7Posted 6/16/2010 2:41:09 PM
I agree with you completely.
However, still make it touch. Hear me out.
- Everything you said, but make the screen multi-touch like the iPhone.
- Then. make a second screen available, that you can pull out from the top of the 3DS.
- This way, you can have one screen, or two screens.
#7elheberPosted 6/16/2010 2:44:54 PM
I agree with the TC but for the complete opposite reason. I believe the 3D "gimmick" is big enough to stand alone. So big, in fact, that I would drop the second screen just to allow (price-wise) to have a larger 3D screen.

In gaming, 3D isn't just a gimmick. The added depth helps you navigate virtual worlds. You don't mistime jumps, you don't misjudge the distance of baseballs or objects in the air, and shadows straight below objects no longer become necessary for spacial recognition.

I see it as the natural evolution... but I'm surprised to see it without glasses.
---
"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."
I type random stuff in this line if I have something extra to say.
#8SyntaxBananaZ(Topic Creator)Posted 6/16/2010 2:46:22 PM
I like the touch screen. Good for innovative games like Kirby Canvas Curse and fun tools like Flipnote Studio

Yes, but they use the touch screen, which isn't 3D. So its seems like a waste to make a game for the 3DS that isn't using the 3D part of the system.

ok, i'll call you crazy....YOU ARE EFFFIN' CRAZY MAN!!!! Drop the backwards compatibility? i mean WTF!? didn't you enjoy any game on your old DS or what?

DS dropped GBA support, this move wouldn't be that different. All you would be doing is selling your DS for a more expensive model.

You don't think the 3ds warrents a new system but the ds lite/dsi/ds xl do?

The original DS was a monstrosity. Absolutely ridiculous and huge. The ds lite should never have existed and thats how the DS should have looked to begin with. Same with the Dsi and DS XL.

The 3ds is the first system that actually adds something major to the table instead of just making the system prettier.

The DS remakes got out of hand. Nintendo should thought longer before even making the first DS. The DS warranted a new system because it was Nintendo's first 3D handheld, which came after their 2D handheld. The 3DS's only perks are better performance and 3D. 3D is nice but is more than likely not going to bring anything new to gameplay. If it did, people who can't experience the 3D will be missing out unless the developers have to make an alternate way of solving something, which then would cause the 3D to be pointless. The better performance could warrant it, but unless they can push it as solid as GameCube graphics, it seems like its not enough.

Why is everyone so obsessed with TWO sliders?

This isn't a console, we're talking about a portable gaming system, we don't need FPSers and a huge screen.

Besides, the touch screen works wonders for a FPS.

Because dual sticks is the standard is gaming now. Why not in handhelds? So you're saying portal gaming systems shouldn't ever have FPS? Guess Metriod Prime Hunters should never have existed. Touch screen is fine with a FPS, but when I was trying to port Team Fortress 2 on the 3DS, there's just not enough buttons since you have to hold the stylus and the X/Y/B/A buttons just become a d-pad for lefties so you use functionality.
---
#9SyntaxBananaZ(Topic Creator)Posted 6/16/2010 2:50:49 PM
The 3D itself can warrant a new system, but with how the 3DS is setup, it doesn't seem to be using the full potential of the idea. 3D is slowing starting to become the standard in media and I'd wish Nintendo will do what it can to make it the best experience they can.

I agree with you completely.
However, still make it touch. Hear me out.
- Everything you said, but make the screen multi-touch like the iPhone.
- Then. make a second screen available, that you can pull out from the top of the 3DS.
- This way, you can have one screen, or two screens.

I don't follow the idea of pulling out a second screen. Mind explaining it again?
---
#10ShadowTheHHFanPosted 6/16/2010 2:51:36 PM
Did I say that? I said we don't NEED them.

Also, you know what else is standard in gaming? Controllers. Why not have those for the DS? The console gaming standards are far different from portables.
---
Brawl is like ZSS' breasts. Well rounded for casual players.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=helEmvwETHU