Will they ever bring back the "Gameboy" title?

#11XentusPosted 6/16/2010 4:28:59 PM
I believe you mean Gameboy Micro
---
According to my calculations, you've got 11 grandparents and one of them is your son.---Mikey_Wolf
Jesus freaks Unite!
#12YAMI_ANUBIS_XPosted 6/16/2010 4:46:40 PM
Actually back in 2004, they called the DS the 3rd pillar cause Nintendo was afraid it would fail against the PSP and so they made a back up called something, the code name was GB Evolution and it rivaled that of the Gamecube in power but because the DS succeeded, they pretty much canned it.

GBE was supposed to be the next GB handheld with gamecube quality power.

Also Nintendo didnt like the name Game BOY, BOY because it sounded sexist like GAME GIRL! So they thought females would come killing them.

If you remember GBE original power than 3DS is way more powerful than the Gamecube itself. DS is no longer the 3rd pillar, IT REPLACED THE GB FRANCHISE! Thats what Nintendo thinks now.
---
PSN: YAMI_ANUBIS_X
#13RyvellPosted 6/16/2010 4:50:56 PM

Actually back in 2004, they called the DS the 3rd pillar cause Nintendo was afraid it would fail against the PSP and so they made a back up called something, the code name was GB Evolution and it rivaled that of the Gamecube in power but because the DS succeeded, they pretty much canned it.

GBE was supposed to be the next GB handheld with gamecube quality power.

Also Nintendo didnt like the name Game BOY, BOY because it sounded sexist like GAME GIRL! So they thought females would come killing them.

If you remember GBE original power than 3DS is way more powerful than the Gamecube itself. DS is no longer the 3rd pillar, IT REPLACED THE GB FRANCHISE! Thats what Nintendo thinks now.

This, more or less. It's my opinion that Nintendo touted the "3rd pillar" idea so that, if the DS failed, it wouldn't tarnish the Gameboy name. Hence, if the DS bombed, it could be swept under the carpet, with no harm done to the Gameboy legacy, much like the Virtual Boy.

However, because of the monstrous success it was, it has replaced the Gameboy. We'll never see another one.

---
http://i48.tinypic.com/2u7ome8.png
#14leeko_linkPosted 6/16/2010 11:18:21 PM
"Will they ever bring back the "Gameboy" title?"

Maybe but not in physical media like it used to be. It'll probably be reborn as a virtual handheld of some kind in the near future (it better be near and soon too, I don't want to be in my 70s by the time it comes).
#15dataDyneSoldierPosted 6/16/2010 11:25:49 PM
first there was Gameboy and all sorts of other names for different versions of it (Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Super Gameboy, Gameboy Advance, etc.). Now there is DS with the same deal. I get the feeling we'll see a new name after the DS thing fades away, if it does.

---
May the rats eat your eyes!!!! The darkness comes.
Top 3 games currently playing: NHL 10, Phantasy Star Online, Super Mario Galaxy 2