I like it without two analog sticks, it doesn't need them IMO

#11WindGodXPosted 6/16/2010 8:59:12 PM
For something like an FPS, yes, the touch screen is a suitable replacement. For something like Katamari Damacy... No. I'm not shocked that they cancelled the DS version, considering how the controls are on PSP. It's not unplayable, but it's painful if you don't take a break every few levels, and the DS isn't even as wide as the PSP, so it'd be much, much worse. With the 3rd party support that the 3DS is getting, I don't think Katamari 3D is too bold to hope for. It might seem unnecessary now, but a few years from now, you'll be looking back at how much better some of your games could've been with a few extra controls. A handheld with dual analog would be the definitive platform for years, and I really want Nintendo to deliver. All I can say is that if Nintendo doesn't go dual analog, Sony will.
---
Paper Bowser can breath fire. While underwater.
#12ShadowTheHHFanPosted 6/16/2010 10:19:44 PM

Call of Duty 4 and Dementium. It just seemed really awkward to me.

Funny, I have CoD4 and all the action was on the top screen.
---
Brawl is like ZSS' breasts. Well rounded for casual players.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=helEmvwETHU
#13Mughal818Posted 6/16/2010 11:14:07 PM
The only problem I have with this is that it would alienate left handed players, like myself. I tried using the standard righty controls in MPH on the DS, but using my right hand to look around felt really awkward (as expected). I do wish they stuck a second nub under the ABXY buttons.
---
Did you just get this post to 250 just to read a story about a kid ****ing off? - breakerx27
Brawl FC: 3394-3210-7492
#14yaboPosted 6/16/2010 11:16:06 PM
It's even better that you can also use the d-pad for other functions. Like, down on the d-pad would be crouch, up would be jump. Left and right for weapon switch. No need to cram the touchscreen with functions when you have a dpad. Just switch between dpad and analogue. Kinda like MGSPW.
No real need to Analogue, but would be nice, as you could use both L and R. By using the touchscreen, you're only limited to L.

WAAAAAAIT, how would left-handers use the analogue in FPS games? lol
---
PSN ID: FGIIIGlio
Being in Aus sucks gaming wise.
#15CNUanManPosted 6/16/2010 11:48:52 PM
The most awkward thing about having to use the touch screen instead of another analog stick is that it's kind of tricky to hold the DS while doing so.

If you have an insight on how to hold it, please let me know. But otherwise, that is the biggest thing that turns me off of games that feature those touch screen controls.
---
OM NOM NOM!
#16Shadowinferno11Posted 6/17/2010 12:05:29 AM
To all those user's who are left handed who just tried using the stylus in your right hand, I'd suggest you take a look at the addition ninty made even way back for the DS.

It was called a thumb strap, MANY left handed players I know who played FPS' on the DS used the thumb strap. It was actually a big debate when Metroid Prime Hunters was first released, about which control method was more accurate the Stylus or the Thumb Strap.

Here's an easy way to look at it, the stylus made the control feel more like a Mouse and Keyboard, seeing as the hand your using to control would be your dominate hand.

However, the thumb strap gives it the dual analog feel, where all your using is your thumb to aim, and control. Which is the same thing you use on an analog stick. I've played with the thumb strap and it feels very similar to dual analog controls.

Whether or not the 3DS will come with a Thumb Strap like the DS and DS lite did, that is unknown, but just like you can buy a stylus for your DS, you can just as easily purchase thumb straps
---
PS0:0217-0889-8196 CoD: 3352-4155-3568
[eP]:Raeka:eP.ipbfree.comRecruiting for iFrag
#17Shadowinferno11Posted 6/17/2010 12:08:22 AM
The most awkward thing about having to use the touch screen instead of another analog stick is that it's kind of tricky to hold the DS while doing so.

If you have an insight on how to hold it, please let me know. But otherwise, that is the biggest thing that turns me off of games that feature those touch screen controls.

To me that was one of the most trickiest things to get use to at first I had to keep fighting to find the right way to hold it. I've found the most comfortable was with my back against a wall, or chair and being able to have it my lap. Or slightly slouched/laying back feet up with the bottom of the DS on my stomach. After I got so use to the controls and feel, I could pretty much use it any position.
---
PS0:0217-0889-8196 CoD: 3352-4155-3568
[eP]:Raeka:eP.ipbfree.comRecruiting for iFrag
#18THE gamefreak 212Posted 6/17/2010 12:23:19 AM

To all those user's who are left handed who just tried using the stylus in your right hand, I'd suggest you take a look at the addition ninty made even way back for the DS.

It was called a thumb strap, MANY left handed players I know who played FPS' on the DS used the thumb strap. It was actually a big debate when Metroid Prime Hunters was first released, about which control method was more accurate the Stylus or the Thumb Strap.

Here's an easy way to look at it, the stylus made the control feel more like a Mouse and Keyboard, seeing as the hand your using to control would be your dominate hand.

However, the thumb strap gives it the dual analog feel, where all your using is your thumb to aim, and control. Which is the same thing you use on an analog stick. I've played with the thumb strap and it feels very similar to dual analog controls.

Whether or not the 3DS will come with a Thumb Strap like the DS and DS lite did, that is unknown, but just like you can buy a stylus for your DS, you can just as easily purchase thumb straps

I still have mine, actually. I felt it made controls in MPH feel really good.
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=6&topic=44118054
I enjoy humor that's at the expense of people who take themselves too seriously.
#19AP3BrainPosted 6/17/2010 12:34:25 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]