3D gaming without 3D TVs possibly?

#1Apeman1813Posted 6/17/2010 10:26:40 AM
I feel like it's gonna take about 10 years for 3D TVs to really catch on and I feel by that time they're gonna make a new generation of consoles. Are they gonna make them 3D even though only a handful of people would have 3D TVs? Then, it reminded me of this for some reason...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw

Whadda ya think? New generation of games being in 3D without 3D TVs based on software like this? It's quite possible, right?
---
No one agrees with you. This is GameFAQs. Even if people really do agree with you, they still don't. - Thunder_Armor
#2weeedinPosted 6/17/2010 10:29:25 AM
thats head tracking, which is different than "3D."
---
PSN: weeedin Steam: weeedin
XBL: weeedin
#3Apeman1813(Topic Creator)Posted 6/17/2010 10:31:34 AM
It still gives the illusion of 3D without the need of Blue & Red 3D glasses.
---
No one agrees with you. This is GameFAQs. Even if people really do agree with you, they still don't. - Thunder_Armor
#4blindzatoPosted 6/17/2010 10:34:38 AM
not practical. sorry
#5NitharadPosted 6/17/2010 10:35:02 AM
Yes it's possible
There exists some kind of special "foil" (well it's not really a foil) you put on top of the screen and it can project 3d images to different "sweet spots"

I'm looking for the youtube video ...
#6weeedinPosted 6/17/2010 10:35:48 AM
you don't need the glasses but you need IR lights on your head, whats the difference really?
---
PSN: weeedin Steam: weeedin
XBL: weeedin
#7ChargrilledPosted 6/17/2010 10:38:00 AM
yeah but it doesnt give the illusion of 3d unless you move around all over the place. and quite a distance aswell to get the proper affect this way.

i dont know anyone who moves that much during a normal video game. infact i dont know anyone that moves hardly at all when playing games, you just dont move when watching a screen.
#8Apeman1813(Topic Creator)Posted 6/17/2010 10:46:58 AM
you don't need the glasses but you need IR lights on your head, whats the difference really?

Eh, I've always hated wearing those stupid Red and Blue glasses lol

yeah but it doesnt give the illusion of 3d unless you move around all over the place. and quite a distance aswell to get the proper affect this way.

i dont know anyone who moves that much during a normal video game. infact i dont know anyone that moves hardly at all when playing games, you just dont move when watching a screen.

That's because you weren't required to move. Honestly I could see it being extremely effective for first-person shooters where you could tilt your head a bit a see a little more in that direction. I wouldn't expect full movement being required as he showed.
---
#9ChargrilledPosted 6/17/2010 11:00:47 AM
its an interesting idea you have with the looking around corners aspect.

that would work well because as an avid free roam rpg, and fps player i have found myself in the past craning my neck to look over something (which of course never moves) or look around a corner a bit more.

thats a good idea and i could see uses for it.

im sold on that idea........... go and develop something for it and ill play it. :P lol

seriously though. i dont see why a giant version of the nintendo 3ds screen cant be manufactured. having one of those slider functions on the remote for altering the display based on how far away you are.

but i expect there is some way to display 3d on any tv without glasses just noone has really developed it yet.
necessity is the mother of all invention, we as gamers gotta make it a necessity for companies in the future.... by buying all things 3d and then demanding more and more from the tech.
#10Apeman1813(Topic Creator)Posted 6/17/2010 11:47:15 AM
its an interesting idea you have with the looking around corners aspect.

that would work well because as an avid free roam rpg, and fps player i have found myself in the past craning my neck to look over something (which of course never moves) or look around a corner a bit more.

thats a good idea and i could see uses for it.

im sold on that idea........... go and develop something for it and ill play it. :P lol

I'll be the first to admit that I doubt I would be smart enough to develop games..... or this crazy ass **** for that matter. Glad you thought it was a good idea though :P

seriously though. i dont see why a giant version of the nintendo 3ds screen cant be manufactured. having one of those slider functions on the remote for altering the display based on how far away you are.

It would cost an arm and a leg and it would be inconvenient on the buy especially since they couldn't choose certain sizes and it would be limited only to their console.

but i expect there is some way to display 3d on any tv without glasses just noone has really developed it yet.
necessity is the mother of all invention, we as gamers gotta make it a necessity for companies in the future.... by buying all things 3d and then demanding more and more from the tech.

Which it why I was bringing up head tracking, but the only downfall to this is that it could only track one person at a time. Hopefully they'll think of a more effective way to do so without the requirement of a 3D TV.
---