Augmented Reality

#1Nano KitsunePosted 6/17/2010 6:11:36 PM
Alright, so, the DS has a backward facing 3D camera.
It has a motion sensor and a gyro sensor.

It can therefore know both the direction it is being held and the general layout of most walls and floors that it's camera sees if the game has software written to calculate it.

I'm thinking the DS can easily do some pretty amazing augmented reality style game play, where it ads 3D things to the real world via it's cameras, and positons the 3d objects on flat surfaces, etc.

This was already possible, and kind of good, with single cameras, with two cameras and getting 3d info about the world it should be cake.

---
Here, take this bad-joke proof vest. It's made of clevlar.
#2Xavier_On_HighPosted 6/17/2010 6:18:31 PM
One of the E3 tech demos involved using the screen to aim and shoot pellets at a 3D dragon which was shown through the DS to be on the table in front of it.

That's just the start. Nintendo should really run with that idea.

---
Peacekeeper of the Metroid: Other M Board
To see the faces of our rulers in the light of the shell-fire. So ugly they looked - so stupid.
#3Xavier_On_HighPosted 6/17/2010 6:22:35 PM
Oh, and imagine how terrifying a Fatal Frame/Project Zero game would be if it used the DS to capture ghosts while walking around your own house.

---
To see the faces of our rulers in the light of the shell-fire. So ugly they looked - so stupid.
#4ToastIsWooshPosted 6/17/2010 6:24:29 PM

One of the E3 tech demos involved using the screen to aim and shoot pellets at a 3D dragon which was shown through the DS to be on the table in front of it.

That's just the start. Nintendo should really run with that idea.

That sounds really awesome. Is there a link somewhere?
---
http://i48.tinypic.com/2ztiy2w.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/332vyw6.jpg
#5KogaSteelfangPosted 6/17/2010 6:25:39 PM
Oh, and imagine how terrifying a Fatal Frame/Project Zero game would be if it used the DS to capture ghosts while walking around your own house.

I've never been frightened by a movie/game. But when you posted that, my heart skipped a beat. That'd be awesome.
---
Supported by wings of faith, Wielding a sword of light.
I am a believer.
#6Xavier_On_HighPosted 6/17/2010 6:27:05 PM
Can't be bothered to post the link (wii has no copy/paste) but Google "E3 3DS Gut Reactions" and it has a mention in that article.

---
#7Xavier_On_HighPosted 6/18/2010 3:56:10 AM
BUMP interesting topic.

---
#8GarbagePrincessPosted 6/18/2010 4:13:49 AM
You mean like Ghostwire for the DSi? Except not vaporware?