Is the 3DS in the same generation than the DS or not?

#1perrolococzPosted 6/18/2010 8:25:04 AM
What I mean is: will the DS be able to play 3DS games?? Or the 3DS is actually another system on its own?
Like a new generation, like Game Boy Color>Game Boy Advance? or a new DS in the line of DSLite-DSi-DSiXL-3DS?

Thanks in advance.
#2NDSboy96Posted 6/18/2010 8:25:51 AM
the 3DS is a new system, but it will have backwards compatibility.
---
BARK LIKE A DOG! -Pit
#3KogaSteelfangPosted 6/18/2010 8:26:35 AM
It's a new system.

Next gen Handheld, no relation to DS other than similar design and Name.
*Sigh*
The 2 things people notice most.
---
Supported by wings of faith, Wielding a sword of light.
I am a believer.
#4Apeman1813Posted 6/18/2010 8:27:20 AM
The DS is not able to play 3DS games. 3DS is considered next gen.
---
No one agrees with you. This is GameFAQs. Even if people really do agree with you, they still don't. - Thunder_Armor
#5perrolococz(Topic Creator)Posted 6/18/2010 8:27:51 AM
Ah ok thank you very much guys :)
#6PlatinumAcePosted 6/18/2010 8:28:34 AM

It's a new system.

*Sigh*
The 2 things people notice most.

this. i know it would have been hard to do anything significantly DIFFERENT that had 2 screens and touch control, but i wish there was more that could be done to separate this from last gen.
---
Top ******* Percentage.
#7K3wlnessPosted 6/18/2010 8:32:04 AM
It could very well be the start of the eight generation of gaming consoles, as 3D popularity is beginning to rise.
#8Barrylocke89Posted 6/18/2010 8:36:44 AM
"It's a new system.

*Sigh*
The 2 things people notice most."

This. I don't mind that the systems look pretty similar, but I think Nintendo may want to consider changing the name at least. It's probably the same name so far because Nintendo wants people to remember the DS, but whenever I tell people that aren't actively watching gaming news about it, they tend to go "What, ANOTHER DS?"

Does anyone remember when they changed the name of the Nintendo Revolution into the Nintendo Wii? There still might be time for them to do a name change for this system.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/Barrylocke
Phantasy Star Zero Friend Code: 2493 4557 9726
#9AmareusPosted 6/18/2010 8:48:05 AM
But what else could they call it? 3DS may make some people think it's just another DS, but the name works perfectly, and with enough advertising I'm sure many will come to understand how different the system really is.
#10KogaSteelfangPosted 6/18/2010 8:52:10 AM
It's Nintendo's fault for Nailing the perfect design with the DS.
Then coming up with the ultra perfect codename. It fits perfectly, but adds confusion because of the already existing 4 other versions of DS floating around out there.
---
Supported by wings of faith, Wielding a sword of light.
I am a believer.