Can you do this on 3DS?

#1TorchicBlazikenPosted 6/19/2010 7:07:19 AM
Can you make a game where there is a main storyline that branches off depending on what choices you make and is really big and has New Game+, and also has downloadable content that has different storylines and different characters, but all has the same gameplay, and you can download updates to the system and the storylines that add bugfixes and retcons?

Is it also possible to make a Wii game that could store the storylines you have so you could have room for them on the 3DS card?

Because I want to become a developer and make a game like that, and the 3DS seems perfect.
#2DarkShadowRagePosted 6/19/2010 7:30:30 AM
Dude, before you even think about becoming a developer you need to go to college and take courses for it.

I am heading into the industry myself in a few years as 3D character modeler.

You need to do alot of studying before you even get to the good stuff, and let me warn you the path to becoming a developer is harder than it seems.
It isnt just video games 24/7.
---
|Proud owner of a Nintendo Wii 04/07/07|A big time Samus Fan|Conduit name: (Shadow)
#3TorchicBlaziken(Topic Creator)Posted 6/19/2010 7:34:27 AM
I'm not saying that I'm doing it right away; I'm writing down my ideas so that I won't forget them if/when I do become one. 3DS (or its successors) seems good, but I want to know if it can be done before I plan for doing it.
#4DarkShadowRagePosted 6/19/2010 7:38:23 AM
Of course it can, a game is limitless, except for deadlines and time constraints.

It depends on what features you add/don't add that make it possible, if the system has internet then you can make your game have new content.

new game + is just a game feature, not system bound. Hell Chrono Trigger did this.
---
|Proud owner of a Nintendo Wii 04/07/07|A big time Samus Fan|Conduit name: (Shadow)
#5TorchicBlaziken(Topic Creator)Posted 6/19/2010 7:45:08 AM
OK, I will write down my ideas. In a few years, I might actually get somewhere. I will tell you if I do.
#6adampeltzPosted 6/19/2010 7:47:21 AM
Maybe a high school education would be a good place to start..
---
Xbox Live gamertag: Peltz
#7tirkaroPosted 6/19/2010 7:50:13 AM
I'm pretty sure by the time you do become a developer, the 4DS or whatever will already be out, so there's no real need to ask these kinds of questions now.
#8lfritPosted 6/19/2010 7:54:17 AM
Just one thing to add on, DLC may not be possible on the 3DS because of limitations set by Nintendo. As far as I'm aware, at least on the Wii, Nintendo doesn't allow DLC or even patches, with the exception of a couple games.

For the rest of your dream, it is perfectly capable of doing such things.
#9RelixedPosted 6/19/2010 8:56:43 AM
Game making is tedious and very unrewarding in the beginning, dream all you want - you won't be making games for 3DS.
If you for some crazy reason really want to learn to make games, you need to start small, like learning a programming language and understanding the logic behind the simpliest games - like pong.
And even after that, it'll still take a while before you can maknig stuff you really want and even then, seeing that you still aren't ready and need to learn more.

So in short:

I'm pretty sure by the time you do become a developer, the 4DS or whatever will already be out, so there's no real need to ask these kinds of questions now.

---
Devlog for my game: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=7596
Haven't updated it in a long time...ask anyway.