Tiny bit of word on the price released that I think was rather obvious

#21Under_Age_UserPosted 6/19/2010 1:12:53 PM

They refuse to sell at a loss? Did Nintendo and Microsoft not both be forced to sell at a loss and make up with software sales? Isn't it a bit greedy on Nintendo's part that they refuse to do the same, especially since their software sales are practically guaranteed to be alot higher?

Nintendo only makes video games and video game hardware.

Sony has dozens of things to fall back on. Sony Pictures, Sony Music, and plenty of electronics (Walkman, TVs, VAIO)

Likewise, Microsoft has it's hands all over the place as well. Bing (the search engine), the Zune (lolmp3player) and a kind of popular operating system called Windows.

Nintendo, on the other hand, is ONLY video games. Sony and Microsoft can afford to take the hits because they're so spread out and can easily cover the costs with profits from other divisions and still stay afloat. Nintendo can not, because it has no other divisions.
---
http://i41.tinypic.com/20ggt52.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/rr2tli.gif
#22MetroidJunkiePosted 6/19/2010 1:14:35 PM
The only company that I know for sure sold at a loss was Sony, for their PS3. Anyways, as for Nintendo, it's not fair to expect them to sell at a loss. Although they could make it back through game sales, it's still an assumption you shouldn't make.

With the sales of the DS and Wii and the hyped up expectations for the 3DS? Selling it at a higher price is going to HURT their sales, not help.
#23Clashton_Lvl255Posted 6/19/2010 2:05:11 PM
Nintendo has never sold at a loss, and never will. They don't need to. They make more money if they don't.

The only reason Sony and MS sold at a loss was to make more money int he long run, they needed to penetrate the market. nintendo doesn't need to do that.
#24orangecrush3190Posted 6/19/2010 2:14:38 PM
I'd probably not pay anything over 250$ for the system itself because I still will need to but a lot of the games. Especially if a good number of the titles announced at E3 are launch titles. I am going to be so broke!
---
MH3 -Trenton, SA & BG user
ID: 5AZQ3L
#25MetroidJunkiePosted 6/19/2010 2:27:52 PM
If it isn't within $250, I'm gonna wait till it is.
#26nintendomaniacPosted 6/19/2010 2:32:20 PM
Doesn't anyone else remember when the GBA launched at only $100?

Either way, after the Wii's $250 price-point, I won't be surprised if it IS above $200, but I certainly would prefer lower.

Also note that Nintendo has never launched a system at $300.
---
Wii Code: 8374-5612-2233-9267
#27silver knuxPosted 6/19/2010 2:35:37 PM
I can see it selling at $250 with a game like Mario Kart or Nintendogs+Cats thrown in for free. That would sell.
---
Wielder of the Legendary Halberd of Noobpwnage+3
#28steve9842005Posted 6/19/2010 2:43:40 PM
We have no idea how much it costs to make the DSi.

I'd assume it doesn't cost that much to make a DSi as that technology has been in mass production since the DS was released.

Just because he says "it costs more to produce than the DSi" doesn't necessarily mean the 3DS will cost that much more. For all we know, it could cost less than $100 for them to make a DSi.
---
Les Claypool/Primus bass covers-www.youtube.com/user/Steve9842007
www.last.fm/user/Steve9842009
#29MRW1215Posted 6/19/2010 2:52:18 PM

We have no idea how much it costs to make the DSi.

I'd assume it doesn't cost that much to make a DSi as that technology has been in mass production since the DS was released.

Just because he says "it costs more to produce than the DSi" doesn't necessarily mean the 3DS will cost that much more. For all we know, it could cost less than $100 for them to make a DSi.

Exactly. I mean, the DSi basically uses the same tech as the DS, which came out six years ago. Obviously, it's got some other features, but even then, isn't the DSi about a year or two old? The DSi can't really cost THAT much to manufacture, so I wouldn't necessarily take this statement as a confirmation the the price of the 3DS will be more than the current price. I'd think $189-199 could be doable, for the 3DS.

It's possible, too, that the price could be pretty affordable (meaning, under $200), but they just didn't want to say that right away, so as not to cut the legs from the current DS model (especially since the DS XL is still fairly new). Chances are, if they announced the 3DS's price right away, as well as release date, that'd probably hurt current DS sales a bit, as most people would probably just hold off, and wait for the 3DS.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/xparasite1215
http://backloggery.com/mrw1215
#30KogaSteelfangPosted 6/19/2010 2:58:37 PM
Isn't it a bit greedy on Nintendo's part that they refuse to do the same

Nintendo is a company. Their goal is to make money. They have no need to sell at a loss, they never have and never will.

You are a gamer. Your goal is to get cool games. Anything you buy is at your loss. It's the way being a customer works.

Now, isn't it selfish on your part to expect a business company to sell at a loss, just so you can get something easier?

My opinion is that 3DS will be at least $200. Likely closer to $250. $300 is possible, but imo not likely.
---
Supported by wings of faith, Wielding a sword of light.
I am a believer.