I'm worried that the 3DS will be underwhelming compared to the DSi XL.

#1Aromatic GrassPosted 6/20/2010 7:42:18 AM
I bought an XL with the full knowledge that the 3DS would be released within half a month of my XL purchase.

I'm really, REALLY looking forward to the 3DS considering the game library and the graphical capabilities. It's a definite buy for me this early in the game.

My prime worry, however, is the size of the screens. They look to be the size of the DS Lite's screens, the top one just being slightly wider. Even the DSi had bigger screens, albeit not by much.

I'm so used to my XL's screens that it's very hard for me to play on the Lite.

As cool as the 3D effect will be, I'm worried that the screens are going to be so small that I just won't get the "whoa this new console is AMAZING" feel that I got with my DS (and subsequently relived with my XL).

Any thoughts? Have there been any screen measurements released? I'm going on what I've seen lol.
---
you'd play it for maybe a week or so then put it in the closet and never look at it again. just like my childhood. why didn't you love me dad? why? superblah750
#2mrfatcatPosted 6/20/2010 7:43:24 AM
The screens are a little bigger then a lite. But you're screwed if you're too used to your XL.

---
Advertising a MMO: Minecraft.net
It there a problem?
#3tYRE_602Posted 6/20/2010 7:52:12 AM
From: Aromatic Grass | Posted: 6/20/2010 7:42:18 AM | #001
I bought an XL with the full knowledge that the 3DS would be released within half a month of my XL purchase.

Whaa o.O?
---
"The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he receive either."- Ben Franklin
#4rytangoPosted 6/20/2010 7:55:09 AM
http://gonintendo.com/wp-content/photos/taille_dsixl_3ds_trans.jpg
#5Sarick_LyrePosted 6/20/2010 7:55:31 AM
Only one screen (top) is bigger than the lites. Both are smaller than the DSi (well top screen is wider but not as tall) Considering all launch releases will focus on the top screen (for 3D) you should be relatively fine. It's only when using the touchscreen or using backwards compatibility when you would truly be confronted with overwhelming differences.

I recommend keeping the XL for playing DS games.

Click on features when you go to the below URL to see the screen diagonal length:
e3.nintendo.com/3ds/
#6Nano KitsunePosted 6/20/2010 7:57:49 AM
It's not the size of the screen that matters, it's the pixels. And the 3DS has far more pixels.

---
Here, take this bad-joke proof vest. It's made of clevlar.
#7DGM09Posted 6/20/2010 7:59:18 AM
The DSi XL's image quality was worse than other DS' as the resolution was the same and the screen was bigger. I'd rather they keep it this size so as to minimize the amount of noticeable "flaws".
---
Bang.
#8rytangoPosted 6/20/2010 8:00:03 AM
I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy screens as big as the XL, and will probably upgrade when that time comes (it's inevitable guys) but I think it'll still be awesome.
#9Sarick_LyrePosted 6/20/2010 8:15:08 AM
It's not the size of the screen that matters, it's the pixels. And the 3DS has far more pixels.

A 999999 x 999999 on a 1 x 1 cm screen would be unpractical. It doesn't start becoming a huge issue until the pixels start becoming bigger than say a millimetre each.
#10dragoonwannabePosted 6/20/2010 8:27:56 AM
3DSXL

There. Fix'd!
---
Slow down, Gandhi, you're killing 'em