I care not for the analog for I use both of my right hands to play games.

#1AlphaWhelpPosted 6/20/2010 8:25:21 PM
I am struggling to wrap my tiny brain around how any of these left-handed left-position analog stick complaints make any sense whatsoever.

#1: You need both of your hands to play most video games. Is your off hand magically better at manipulating an analog stick than your main hand or something? Or is your main hand magically better at manipulating buttons than your off hand? Regardless of where you put the analog stick, you are going to have to do something with your off hand to play the game.

#2: All console games ever since the NES have put movement control on the left, buttons on the right. Yet, I never hear anyone complain that they can't use the right analog stick to move around in a console game. Furthermore, even if you could, exactly how would you push the buttons that are on the right side of the control pad anyway?

#3: You can train your off hand to do anything it needs to do. I, for example, am better at driving with my left hand than my right. I'll spare you the reasons why, but I will say that teaching your left hand to mess around with an analog and a right hand to mess around with buttons should be a lot easier than driving with your off hand, and furthermore, because of #2, you should already be pretty used to the idea of main analog control = left, buttons = right.

#4: I have no proof of this, however, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that if someone gave me a console controller that was mirrored from right to left, I could probably use it just fine with a few hours of practice.
---
Q: How can you tell when I'm trolling?
A: I've made a post.
#2Smokeybear18Posted 6/20/2010 8:27:10 PM
LOL, exactly the way I think. On consoles, you're required to use your "bad hand" for half of the controller. Does that make you possibly worse at moving around in CoD4 because you're right handed, or worse at firing because you're a lefty? Sounds pretty stupid to me.
---
"I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go." Genesis 28:15
"But I don't wanna be a pirate!"
#3Baby KirbyPosted 6/20/2010 8:30:21 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#4Baby KirbyPosted 6/20/2010 8:31:26 PM
#2: The complaint is not about buttons. It's about the joystick/stylus combo uses in FPS games.

They've gotten used to buttons and joysticks the way they've been, obviously. That's not what this is about. It's about using something similar to a writing utensil in their non dominant hand to get the benefit of the joystick, otherwise they lose accuracy to right handers who have it if lefties choose the buttons on the right while aiming with the touch screen.
---
Kirby with a blue hat. Watch out he spits. I used to have a right thumb, but it left. Check the instruction manual before you ask a question. It saves time.
#5AlphaWhelp(Topic Creator)Posted 6/20/2010 8:36:11 PM

#2: The complaint is not about buttons. It's about the joystick/stylus combo uses in FPS games.

They've gotten used to buttons and joysticks the way they've been, obviously. That's not what this is about. It's about using something similar to a writing utensil in their non dominant hand to get the benefit of the joystick, otherwise they lose accuracy to right handers who have it if lefties choose the buttons on the right while aiming with the touch screen.

And with a few hours of practice, I've trained myself not only to write mostly legibly with my left hand, but also to write legibly upside down. Maybe I'm ambidextrous but I've never seen myself that way.
---
#6Baby KirbyPosted 6/20/2010 8:38:05 PM
And with a few hours of practice, I've trained myself not only to write mostly legibly with my left hand, but also to write legibly upside down. Maybe I'm ambidextrous but I've never seen myself that way.

I can write legibly with my left hand too. But I can't do it NEARLY as quickly, and when things are shooting at you, that matters. Speed goes up accuracy goes WAY down.
---
Kirby with a blue hat. Watch out he spits. I used to have a right thumb, but it left. Check the instruction manual before you ask a question. It saves time.
#7AlphaWhelp(Topic Creator)Posted 6/20/2010 8:43:40 PM
I notice a general trend that the faster I try to write (with any hand) the worse my penmanship becomes. This is not news.
---