For people arguing that over $200 is not gonna happen.

#11trenkenPosted 6/23/2010 10:37:51 AM
"It's not wrong to hope it's cheap, fairly similar in price to the current DS models. "

The problem is that recent interview with iwata posted here today. He said the 3DS costs a bit more to produce than the DS, and he specifically said they want to make a profit on it, so automatically we know it will cost more than $200.
#12JalapenoPowerPosted 6/23/2010 10:38:41 AM
especially if Sony takes advantage of it, and releases its own new portable device that's similarly priced (or even cheaper)

The odds of that hover around zero, though.

The best price I'm reasonably hoping for is $180. I suspect it'll be at $200 ($199.99) simply for the fact that it is a big jump in appeal to thrifty spenders compared to something like $220 or $230. But I agree nothing is saying it can't go higher without losing a lot of support. I especially don't believe there is going to be a lot of direct comparisons to the Wii.
---
This sentence no verb.
"Happiness is nature's way of telling human resources you're overpaid."
#13VamphaeryPosted 6/23/2010 10:45:05 AM
I would never argue that "over $200 is not gonna happen." In fact, I believe up to $249.99 is justifiable based on the following:

1) An increase of $20 - $30 USD has accomanied every new Gameboy generation.
2) In addition to that, Iwata has stated that 3DS costs "much more" to produce than the current generation of DS (which I take to mean the DSi XL,) so the price increase will exceed that $20 - $30 in all likelihood.
3) The combined technological improvements in 3DS are in my opinion a much greater leap than we experienced moving from GBA to DS.

So I believe up to $249.99 - the launch price of the PSP - is justifiable. If only just. So based on that I could never rationally argue that the system being over $200 USD is impossible or even unlikely.

However, I would argue that $299.99 for a handheld, regardless of how powerful or feature-rich it is - if it doesn't let me play on a large HDTV/monitor, doesn't offer the same online services full consoles offer (Yes, MS's is subscription based - but it's the cost of one game for a year,) and doesn't have equivalent graphical capabilities - is in no way justifiable.
#14MRW1215Posted 6/23/2010 11:01:02 AM

The problem is that recent interview with iwata posted here today. He said the 3DS costs a bit more to produce than the DS, and he specifically said they want to make a profit on it, so automatically we know it will cost more than $200.

True, but the DS is six years old. I highly doubt the DS costs THAT much to make. I'd imagine the only reason the revisions have been so much more expensive is simply so that they could use them to gain extra cash by milking the people that feel the need to buy every revision.

The odds of that hover around zero, though.

I didn't say it was likely, but it's still kind of a risk. I mean, yeah, the PSP didn't take down Nintendo, but it was probably the strongest competitor Nintendo has ever had in the handheld market, and if Sony got their act together with that product line, I think there's a very real chance they could eat away even more market share. Best for Nintendo to do everything they can to sway the advantage to their side. Besides, we know how important is it for Nintendo to appeal to both "hardcore" and "casual" fans, and I think anything above $200 could really hurt the "casual" appeal a bit.

Sure, $250+ doesn't seem like THAT much at face value, but the average buyer isn't sitting there justifying WHY the price is high. They're gonna look at it and say "Well, I'd like to get it, but $250 is kind of a lot for a handheld system... That's about how much I'd pay for a home console, but for a handheld...? Hm...". I think the $180-200 range is the sweet spot for the cost of the device. It seems like a fair price, but at the same time, it's not "too much" to turn away the casual market.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/xparasite1215
http://backloggery.com/mrw1215
#15Lord_of_BeefDipPosted 6/23/2010 11:26:59 AM
I'm guessing the price to be between 179.99 and 199.99.

Granted, they said it costs a lot more to make than the current DS, and they will no doubt want to make a modest profit, but the DS, even the newest model with the enhanced CPU and camera is still extremely outdated tech.

And in all likely hood it probably does not cost over 130-140$ to manufacture, they are likely just milking it as far as they can price wise to get ready for the 3DS launch, and we still have several months to go before it's actually released, so the hardware that will go into it will have some time for a decent drop in manufacturing costs. So even if the tech is around 200$+ now to make, it could very well be 50$ or so cheaper to make once the system comes out later this year.
---
"What is this world coming to?" - Chris_Speed_
"Six year old girls, apparently." - GrowIithe
#16IntervenientPosted 6/23/2010 12:07:57 PM
For all the people sucking on Iwatas ball sack about "more than the production value", the DS only costs like $30, $40 tops to produce. I can't see the 3DS costing more than $100
---
"EVERYONE GET DOWN HE HAS AN OPINION!" - akatsukiba
#17VamphaeryPosted 6/23/2010 12:17:13 PM
For all the people sucking on Iwatas ball sack about "more than the production value", the DS only costs like $30, $40 tops to produce. I can't see the 3DS costing more than $100

Can you provide evidence of this? I'm not saying that because I doubt you at all, but because I've always wanted to see how the cost/profit ratio breaks down for the DS. It would solve a lot of arguments people seem to have.
#18IntervenientPosted 6/23/2010 1:11:39 PM
Well you can find the screens online for retail around $10, and since Nintendo buys in bulk, we can give a conservative estimate of $7 per screen. The inner components, at technoligies rate, I wouldn't say costs more than $20. Plastic at most costs 5. No hard facts, but look around the Internet and you'd see similar pricing.
---
"EVERYONE GET DOWN HE HAS AN OPINION!" - akatsukiba