I want them to add another analog stick!

#21Bro_RabbitPosted 6/23/2010 8:59:30 AM
So everyone agrees that there should be a second analog nub, right?
#22VamphaeryPosted 6/23/2010 9:05:40 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#23VamphaeryPosted 6/23/2010 9:10:10 AM
the only people complaining about this are the right-handed gamers.
Seriously, go back through the other topics and check for any instance where people state their dominant hand, then look at the accompanying post.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997614-3ds/55255869

Some are lefties who don't have a problem with it. Some are right-handers who support the change. Some are lefties who do have a problem with it. And don't say, "Okay but the MAJORITY..." because lefties are already a minority demographic and only some among them even have a problem with this. It doesn't matter. It's still an issue for those people.

Right handed people want a 2nd control stick, and are using the left-handed argument to try to validate their opinions.

Or, as in my case at least, they want a second slide pad for two reasons. 1) For those lefties who do have a problem with it, and 2) For the reasons I already listed in my earlier post.

Left handed gamers are generally fine

"Generally" is a generalization and leaves out those who do have an issue with it.

It's not an issue.

For some it is.

I have yet to se a left handed person present a game that is unplayable by a left handed person.

I've known SEVERAL lefties who cannot play games that don't offer lefty control options. They can muddle through, but that's not the same as enjoying the game, and usually they abandon the game once the difficulty ramps up. Again, I completely agree that this is only a small minority of players. But they do exist and should not be so easily dismissed in my opinion.

BUT, if the left handed people are forced to use the right control stick(Because they can't cope with controlling a character left handed), then the movement and actions are all on one side of the controller. Imagine playing a playstation game using the right stick to walk, X to jump, square to shoot, circle to run, triangle to open the menu.

Several DS games have lefty options which switch the face button functions to the D-pad. Four directions, four buttons. The same could be done in this case.

NOW tell me that control setup is better than the normal way.

I'm not saying, nor have I ever said, that one setup is "better" than the "normal" way as you put it. I'm saying it may be better for some, and provides greater flexibility, while also allowing for easier implementation of popular genres such as FPSs in the format that most players of those genres are used to.

You wouldn't be able to move while shooting,

For lefties: move with right stick, aim with left stick, like in virtually every lefty-swapped control setup in a FPS ever, and like they do on PC (although in that case with a mouse and keyboard instead; mouse with the left hand for aiming, keyboard with the right for moving. That's intuitive for every lefty I've ever encountered who games on a PC or on a controller - right for moving, left for aiming. The reverse is true for us righties.)

run is useless

Why? Hold the run button, whatever that happens to be.

you could only jump straight up.

Why? See above.

And all the buttons on the left side of the remote sit there unused.

Why? See above.

I'm not saying it's fair. It's just this setup is by far, the best way and creates very few control issues.

Best is subjective.

You seem to be standing up for the left handed people, which I respect greatly. It's just that this injustice, is greatly overexagerated and most of these topics are created by trolls, right handed gamers just wanting another stick, or extremely rarely- an actual left handed person.

Well, I am neither a troll, nor being disingenuous to promote an agenda. These are simply my legitimate personal opinions.
#24KogaSteelfangPosted 6/23/2010 9:25:08 AM
Why? Hold the run button, whatever that happens to be.

Hold circle, while simultaneously using the control stick below the action buttons? I think That'd be more difficult.

Why? See above.

Answered above this one.

For lefties: move with right stick, aim with left stick, like in virtually every lefty-swapped control setup in a FPS ever,

Um, if there were 2 control sticks, what would be the reason to switch the control scheme? just play it normally.

I have only seen a single post by a person who said they were left handed AND had a problem with it. Even then, that person said it wasn't an much of an issue. I've seen and read through and posted in about 8 different of these topics, each one got many posts, at least 30+ posts. So a single post, in all those others is valid, and they even said they were ok with it. I count right handed complaints and trolls to be invalid when the discussion is about the left handed. Let them voice their own problems, not saying you should stop as you are good at defending them. It just seems you are taking it way too seriously.
---
Supported by wings of faith, Wielding a sword of light.
I am a believer.
#25VamphaeryPosted 6/23/2010 9:34:04 AM
Hold circle, while simultaneously using the control stick below the action buttons? I think That'd be more difficult.

Why? The face buttons are above the right stick on Xbox 360 and PS3. It's never been a problem for people on those systems that I'm aware of. And why does circle have to be the run button? There are shoulder buttons.

Um, if there were 2 control sticks, what would be the reason to switch the control scheme? just play it normally.

Oh, I see. You really don't understand the problem. I will explain.

To a left-handed person, using the right stick to aim is unintuitive. It would be like me using the left stick to aim instead of to move. On PC, and on consoles, right handed players use the right stick to aim, and the left stick to move. Lefties swap the sticks (most games - in fact I'd say it's almost universal, though not quite, among first person shooters - have the option to do this) so that they are aiming with the left stick, and moving with the right stick. On PC, likewise, lefties use the mouse to aim with their LEFT hand, and use wasd on the keyboard with their RIGHT hand to move. It's REVERSED for them as compared to how righties play.

The same would be true on a handheld with two analogue nubs.

I have only seen a single post by a person who said they were left handed AND had a problem with it.

I counted at least three in the topic I linked to above. Granted, there WERE many more people posting in support of it who weren't left handed. Lefties are by their nature a minority demographic, as I have already stated.

I count right handed complaints... to be invalid

So you arbitrarily dismiss the much larger demographic who also wants a second nub for different reasons (or in my case, additional reasons)?

Let them voice their own problems, not saying you should stop as you are good at defending them. It just seems you are taking it way too seriously.

Who are you to say whether I'm taking something "too seriously?" You have repeatedly demonstrated that this isn't a serious issue for you. That's fine. People are different.
#26KogaSteelfangPosted 6/23/2010 9:46:33 AM
Hmm. Maybe I'm just not seeing it. I dunno. But obviously this is a big issue for some. So I'll stop posting in these types of threads.

I just can't see that it's as a big an issue as people make it out to be. I'm Right handed myself. I've played games on the left handed control scheme before. Aside from throwing me off at first(Due to 25 years of gaming with normal control schemes) it wasn't that difficult. I often switch hands while playing DS games, it's not a big deal besides feeling a tad awkward. Heck, I've even played with the system upside down, which reverses everything~ Controls from the right, up is down, left ius right, etc. It wasn't even too tough to figure out or get used to.

And left handed gamers have had 6 years to adjust to using a touchscreen. Most of these topics make left handed people out to be some helpless person who can't do anything.
I mean if the 3DS had only 1 control stick, and it happened to be the right stick, I wouldn't care. It makes no difference to me. And I don't see how a left handed person has a much more difficult time pressing buttons than a right handed person.

*Is my last post in the thread*
---
I am a believer.
#27VamphaeryPosted 6/23/2010 9:50:30 AM
^ You are a very talented and probably borderline ambidexterous gamer lol. I tip my hat to you. Many people would be incapable of what you describe. (And I'm saying that as a pianist, mind you.)

Yes, the DS in its present incarnation has been with lefties for 6 years or so, but the DS offered (in many cases) reversed lefty controls (D-pad instead of face buttons, and face buttons as the directional input) that allowed them to hold the stylus in their dominant hand.

If 3DS does the same, they will lose the analogue sensitivity of the slide pad. The face buttons - even with some sort of thumb attachment - won't provide analogue sensitivity.
#28KogaSteelfangPosted 6/23/2010 9:52:35 AM
Darn, now I'm a liar for posting again.

I'm definitely not ambidextrous. I can't write worth anything left handed, or even throw/catch a ball. XD
Maybe I';m just quicker to adapt to change or something. I dunno.
Sorry for giving you such a hard time.
---
I am a believer.
#29VamphaeryPosted 6/23/2010 9:53:48 AM
Lol it's okay.

Debate is healthy and encourages thought. You are a worthy debater.