So has Nintendo abandoned its Gameboy line?

#1tYRE_602Posted 6/23/2010 10:33:16 PM
Whether we think it or not, according to Nintendo, the DS is not the successor to the GBA, as Iwata said:

"[It] will enable fun and movement not seen before. I expect it to become a third pillar, next to GameCube and Game Boy."
-Satoru Iwata, Gamasutra (January 07, 2004)

But...in all honesty, do you guys really think they'll ever go back to the Gameboy line?
---
"The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he receive either."- Ben Franklin
#2TheNomenclaturePosted 6/23/2010 10:39:14 PM
You can adopt one for only 2 cents a day
---
I have discovered things you can only dream of
#3Apeman1813Posted 6/23/2010 10:42:18 PM
I don't see them going back to the GameBoy line at all in the near future.

1. Having 2 screens is what separates it from being the same as home consoles.
2. The DS dominates in sales.
3. Even if they went back to one screen, I doubt they would call it "GameBoy" because they are trying to appeal to everyone.
---
They lured the other two with the idea of casual games being all the rage, then when they fell for it, BAM, hardcore games out the ass. - Zanbi's thoughts on E3
#4d0wnerPosted 6/23/2010 10:45:55 PM
Everyone recognizes that was simply rhetoric. Even if you think Iwata's statement was genuine at the time, the DS line has long since succeeded the Game Boy line, that is a fact.

I'd like to see the Game Boy line / name return at some point, and I expect that it will.
---
floating upon the surface for the birds.
#5leeko_linkPosted 6/23/2010 10:51:10 PM
"So has Nintendo abandoned its Gameboy line?"

Nintendo didn't abandoned the Game Boy line, they discontinued it. If they abandon it then some other company would had bought it instead.

"But...in all honesty, do you guys really think they'll ever go back to the Gameboy line?"

They might be but it won't come back in physical form, it'll probably return as digital download ala virtual handheld maybe.
#6TheRedneck14Posted 6/23/2010 10:51:12 PM
I look at the DS as just a Gameboy with 2 screens. Therefore, the Gameboy is still alive.
---
Supreme Overlord of Generation 90's
Please call me Joe
http://card.mygamercard.net/lastgame/joecb1991.png
#7Dark Z3roPosted 6/23/2010 10:53:27 PM
He only said that to cover his ass in case the DS flopped. That way they could just move on with a new GB like they did after the failure of the Virtual Boy. Sony did the same thing when they announced the PSP Go. It's just so they don't alienate consumers.
---
Get Some Nuts!!!!
#8mizukage2Posted 6/23/2010 10:59:43 PM
He meant it was going to be important in the near future, not that it would remain a permanent fixture forever. Now it and the gamecube have outlived their place and have been relegated to history.
#9d0wnerPosted 6/23/2010 11:04:01 PM
If they abandon it then some other company would had bought it instead.

Yeah... no. 'Abandoned' in this case means they've stopped using the name for new products. They don't then magically lose legal ownership of the brand name and the products it represents. Nor are they ever going to sell it. That all seems rather obvious.
---
floating upon the surface for the birds.
#10pichufan2000Posted 6/23/2010 11:12:51 PM
I sometimes call the DS the Game Boy DS. As in Game Boy Dual Screen. Which it kinda is in my eyes.
---
Nintendo 64 Collector
http://backloggery.com/main.php?user=pichu199x