A strange reason 3DS excites me.

#1VamphaeryPosted 6/25/2010 5:38:24 AM
We are presently in the era of extremely long console cycles. As consoles have become more expensive, the big three have sought to take longer to recoup their investments, and have tried to find new ways to keep people playing, innovating on the gameplay and interface side instead of releasing new consoles. Typically we would already be hearing news about successor consoles by this point in PS3 and Xbox 360's life cycles. And I'm still surprised Nintendo has said they won't release a new console until 3DTV becomes more of a standard fixture.

But along comes 3DS. Sure, it's a handheld, but it's a more feature-rich handheld than I've ever seen, it has an analogue slide pad, it has 3D, and it has impressive visuals (we believe) for a handheld. That makes it a bit more substantial than a usual handheld release, at least to me, subjectively.

So, what I'm getting at is this: my mind is conditioned to expect a new console by now. Sad but true lol. After decades of gaming, I've just come to expect it. Yet there aren't any. So I think that's one reason I'm so excited by the 3DS. It isn't just another handheld. It's something new and exciting, and has a long list of games that until now I hadn't been able to play except on a console. In short, I feel like 3DS is filling the role for me psychologically that a new console typically would at this point.

Anyone else feel this way?
#2Xavier_On_HighPosted 6/25/2010 5:53:58 AM
I agree. The 3DS is filling the role that the PSP should have filled but didn't.

---
Peacekeeper of the Metroid: Other M Board
To see the faces of our rulers in the light of the shell-fire. So ugly they looked - so stupid.
#3Megaman OmegaPosted 6/25/2010 6:08:34 AM
The DS already is the best selling handheld (soon to be the best selling console), and to me, it looks like the 3DS has a lot of reasons to beat it Let's see:

- Longer life cycle
- Appeals to a bigger audience
- Already gets a ton of good games with the start
- Has all the controls that are needed
- Will likely not have to compete with a PSP
- Good online, etc.

What i mean is, when the DS with its blocky graphics game out, it was already clear that there will be a successor with better graphics. But now, you don't really need a graphic improvement anymore. Sure, it's always nice, but looking at its graphics, it's not a priority. Also, it has a lot of ways to get input. Really, about the only thing the 3DS won't do is measuring the temperature. All of these will make for a long life cycle.

Then consider how a lot of hardcore games that disliked the lack of certain genres on the DS as well as the graphics and the "fear of the internet" that the DS has will also like the 3DS. If there is no successor to the PSP (and that's likely), then even more people will buy the 3DS.
---
Official Vaporeon of the B/W Boards
Proud member of M.U.K.
#4LawnNinjaPosted 6/25/2010 6:11:21 AM
I agree TC. In my estimation, the 3DS IS Nintendo's next "console". There's no reason for them to release a new Wii yet, because the thing is STILL selling.

I don't think Nintendo wants to repeat the Super Nintendo scenario. See, when SNES hit, the majority of NES owners didn't see the need to buy a shinier console when the one they had still worked, and Nintendo was forced to continue supporting its old system throughout the early life of its new one (which, incidentally, is exactly what happened with the PS3, too). If they push a new Wii now, they'd just end up having to support two consoles, because none of the "blue ocean" casual demographic will upgrade.

That's why I think Nintendo is going to push the 3DS as its "hardcore" platform. There are more "gamer games" announced for the thing already that the Wii saw in its first year on the market. They're going to put their "hardcore" titles on the 3DS, and their "casual family" titles on the Wii. That's not to say we won't still be seeing in-depth games on Wii or that we won't see any casual software on 3DS, but my prediction is that Nintendo wants the 3DS to be the product to satisfy all the core gamers who were left wanting on Wii.

</mytwocents>

---
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
#5Vamphaery(Topic Creator)Posted 6/25/2010 6:26:36 AM
^I suspect you are correct. Their recent statement that they feel the DS didn't cater to core gamers and that they want to remedy that on 3DS would seem to support that.
#6ShibutoPosted 6/25/2010 7:45:58 AM

We are presently in the era of extremely long console cycles. As consoles have become more expensive, the big three have sought to take longer to recoup their investments

This is true for Sony and Microsoft....not so much for Nintendo since they said that they're making profit out of Wii and DS. They could develop a new console right this minute if they wanted to.
#7NOTknownlightPosted 6/25/2010 11:25:14 AM
The 3DS is a Generation 8 system. That's why it's so exciting.

The original DS was the first Generation 7 system too. It was released in 2004, the 360 wasn't released 'til 2005, and the Wii and PS3 weren't released until 2006. That means the next generation of consoles may possibly come in the next two years.