I thought the "3DS" in Nintendo 3DS was already taken by Autodesk 3DS Max

#1Nano KitsunePosted 6/28/2010 6:09:16 AM
Apparently it's not a copyright problem?

---
Here, take this bad-joke proof vest. It's made of clevlar.
#2t 002 TyrantPosted 6/28/2010 6:21:16 AM
Wonder where the inspiration for this topic came from... >_>

And I doubt it would be a major issue, let alone one they couldn't work past...
---
"If humans don't want me, then why did they create me?"
- Naomi Armitage
#3Nano Kitsune(Topic Creator)Posted 6/28/2010 6:25:38 AM
Wonder where the inspiration for this topic came from... >_>

Hm?

And I doubt it would be a major issue, let alone one they couldn't work past...

I guess so, since no one made a big deal out of it. But I honestly didn't expect them to be able to use it. For me 3DS has always meant 3DS Max.

---
Here, take this bad-joke proof vest. It's made of clevlar.
#4SMZigPosted 6/28/2010 6:30:11 AM
Autodesk 3DS Max is just a shorten form of it's real name Autodesk 3D Studio Max. 3DS is the actual name of Nintendo's system. If Coral wanted to, they could do the same thing with PaintShop Pro and refer to it as PSP like everyone else does. Sony can't really do anything as Coral would be using it as an abbreviation for their product.
#5Board_hunter567Posted 6/28/2010 9:38:34 AM
I guess 3DS means "3D System?"
Because I don't see how they could squeeze "Developers System" in the name.
#6Megaman OmegaPosted 6/28/2010 9:40:19 AM
3DS is DS with a 3 added, and DS doesn't have anything to do with that Autodesk 3DS Max or whatever it's called (which i have never heard before).
---
Official Vaporeon of the B/W Boards
Proud member of M.U.K.
#7Board_hunter567Posted 6/28/2010 9:42:27 AM
So it's... "Three Developers' System" and "Three Duel Screens?"
#8CrapFactoryPosted 6/28/2010 9:43:39 AM
If they were in the same industry there would be issues. However they're not. Though if someone gets sue-hungry anything can happen but really, things are often allowed to have the same name if they're not competing at all.
#9Board_hunter567Posted 6/28/2010 9:49:19 AM
If they were in the same industry there would be issues. However they're not. Though if someone gets sue-hungry anything can happen but really, things are often allowed to have the same name if they're not competing at all.

It's not a name though, it's an acronym. I'd imagine that's hard to make a suit out of, even if you're in the same business, unless the company with the same name tries to trick customers into thinking they're something they're not.
#10Megaman OmegaPosted 6/28/2010 9:54:41 AM
Yep. Besides, it matters how popular and reknown the device is. If some company is naming their product after something popular, then they might get sued, but i've just seen the term "Autodesk 3DS Max" for the first time in my life.

Not to mention that "3DS" is just three letters and numbers. How likely is it that anything on the world has the same abbreviation or name as the three letters and numbers you were going to use?
---
Official Vaporeon of the B/W Boards
Proud member of M.U.K.