Will 3DS cartidges feature enhancement chips?

#1trent44Posted 6/29/2010 10:52:07 AM
Never knew about these till now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_NES_enhancement_chips

Quite ingenious actually, it allows for flexible hardware specs on a game by game basis. Obviously they would be a ton smaller and cheaper now days and probably do cooler stuff (like additional shader effects, enhanced AA, etc.)

I just wonder if it is in the 3DS cartridge architecture for these to be employed?
#2KrootahnPosted 6/29/2010 11:08:54 AM
Probably not because the 3DS basically unlike the SNES, the 3DS uses basically a modified SD Card which is too small to fit even the smallest processors.
#3trent44(Topic Creator)Posted 6/29/2010 11:16:34 AM
@Krootahn

Ah I see, a dang shame to hear.

Perhaps their next home console then...
#4elheberPosted 6/29/2010 12:23:18 PM
No, they COULD fit microprocessors inside. GBA did it with tilt sensors and other crud. I doubt they would, though, for the 3DS. The reasons is simply that the 3DS can already do most things. Adding expensive chips just for shaders and AA is sort of a waste of money for publishers.

The SNES going from 2D to Mode7 was a HUGE leap that did warrant such chips.
---
"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."
Daos (Doritos and Orange Soda) for Con2 currency name. I support this.
#5KrootahnPosted 6/29/2010 12:35:23 PM
Kirby Tilt n Tumble did not include microprocessors, it used multiple accelerometers that could fit in the cartridge since it's much larger than a GBA or DS or 3DS cartridge. Plus it has that "hump" on the top of the cartridge allowing space for very small components.
#6SragentThomPosted 6/29/2010 12:43:59 PM
Almost No Ds games used enhancement chips in any shape in form.It will only increase the cost of the cartridge,and since the DS cartridge are much more smaller than a GBA cartridge it's impossible to fit microprocessors or ram into the cartridge.
#7SragentThomPosted 6/29/2010 12:46:11 PM
Early Ds games however used the slot two for rumble or RAM for the browsers but nothing that actually improve performance and increase graphics.
#8ThePlasmaStormPosted 6/29/2010 1:42:48 PM

Almost No Ds games used enhancement chips in any shape in form.It will only increase the cost of the cartridge,and since the DS cartridge are much more smaller than a GBA cartridge it's impossible to fit microprocessors or ram into the cartridge.

"unofficial" ds cards would like to have a word with you
---
`._ Out! Out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow. _.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/totalratchetfan/newersiggy.png
#9silver knuxPosted 6/29/2010 2:43:12 PM
I remember hearing about some kind of media playing card for the DS that added a 400MHz processor and a bunch more RAM to enable the watching of videos without converting them to a type the DS can handle(.DPG). And yes, "unofficial" DS cards would like a word with those saying you can add microprocessors to DS cards.
---
Wielder of the Legendary Halberd of Noobpwnage+3
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/silvex/Photos/Lego/SuperGate.png
#10DarkSideOfBluePosted 6/29/2010 3:13:12 PM

DS iPlayer flashcart, bro. It's been done.