Will 3DS cartidges feature enhancement chips?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Will 3DS cartidges feature enhancement chips?
6 years ago#1
Never knew about these till now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_NES_enhancement_chips

Quite ingenious actually, it allows for flexible hardware specs on a game by game basis. Obviously they would be a ton smaller and cheaper now days and probably do cooler stuff (like additional shader effects, enhanced AA, etc.)

I just wonder if it is in the 3DS cartridge architecture for these to be employed?
6 years ago#2
Probably not because the 3DS basically unlike the SNES, the 3DS uses basically a modified SD Card which is too small to fit even the smallest processors.
6 years ago#3
@Krootahn

Ah I see, a dang shame to hear.

Perhaps their next home console then...
6 years ago#4
No, they COULD fit microprocessors inside. GBA did it with tilt sensors and other crud. I doubt they would, though, for the 3DS. The reasons is simply that the 3DS can already do most things. Adding expensive chips just for shaders and AA is sort of a waste of money for publishers.

The SNES going from 2D to Mode7 was a HUGE leap that did warrant such chips.
"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."
Daos (Doritos and Orange Soda) for Con2 currency name. I support this.
6 years ago#5
Kirby Tilt n Tumble did not include microprocessors, it used multiple accelerometers that could fit in the cartridge since it's much larger than a GBA or DS or 3DS cartridge. Plus it has that "hump" on the top of the cartridge allowing space for very small components.
6 years ago#6
Almost No Ds games used enhancement chips in any shape in form.It will only increase the cost of the cartridge,and since the DS cartridge are much more smaller than a GBA cartridge it's impossible to fit microprocessors or ram into the cartridge.
6 years ago#7
Early Ds games however used the slot two for rumble or RAM for the browsers but nothing that actually improve performance and increase graphics.
6 years ago#8

Almost No Ds games used enhancement chips in any shape in form.It will only increase the cost of the cartridge,and since the DS cartridge are much more smaller than a GBA cartridge it's impossible to fit microprocessors or ram into the cartridge.

"unofficial" ds cards would like to have a word with you
`._ Out! Out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow. _.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/totalratchetfan/newersiggy.png
6 years ago#9
I remember hearing about some kind of media playing card for the DS that added a 400MHz processor and a bunch more RAM to enable the watching of videos without converting them to a type the DS can handle(.DPG). And yes, "unofficial" DS cards would like a word with those saying you can add microprocessors to DS cards.
Wielder of the Legendary Halberd of Noobpwnage+3
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/silvex/Photos/Lego/SuperGate.png
6 years ago#10

DS iPlayer flashcart, bro. It's been done.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Will 3DS cartidges feature enhancement chips?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived