What was your "gateway drug" to the RPG genre?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. What was your "gateway drug" to the RPG genre?
5 years ago#161
Super Mario RPG is what got me started on RPGs back in 1995/96 so it led me into trying out others. I tried Lufia 2 and Final Fantasy 6 after that, but they didn't really hook me. THEN (one fateful day) I played a little game called Earthbound. And we've been best friends ever since! So yeah if EB never came around I probably wouldn't be into RPGs right now. I wouldn't consider Mario RPG my gateway drug into RPGs since I didn't become addicted until EB. So....Earthbound!
Why is it that Mario gets a Galaxy but Donkey Kong only gets a Country?
5 years ago#162
My first traditional RPG was Paper Mario for the N64 (tough lately i've started playing Earthbound).
My first western RPG was Oblivion, unless you can count GTA: SA for having some RPG elements.
What do I play? What's worth playing. What do I watch? What's worth watching. What do I Read? What's worth reading.
What do I live? What's worth living.
5 years ago#163
Golden Sun!!!
Self-Proclaimed number 5 Onion Knight Fan!!!
Awesomeness: http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/06/6-15-10-3dscloseup19.jpg
5 years ago#164
Official Mr. Bousouzoku 1986
PSZ FC = Kunio (2278-7721-8018)
5 years ago#165
Pokemon, which was basically my first game, was also my first RPG. Ever since then I've been in love with the genre. However, even if my first RPG wasn't Pokemon I can't imagine a situation where I wouldn't have liked RPGs.
"It's GamerJM, it doesn't have to makes sense or not"-Cool Boy Mew
5 years ago#166
the start: pokemon yellow
the realization leading to obsession: tales of symphonia
the enforcers: golden sun, FE, chrono trigger, and AW:DS
the now: persona 4 (60 hours in and close-ish to done)

"(I prefer the) Ice flower, because it can kill Dry Boners."
5 years ago#167
Final Fantasy VII
5 years ago#168
Pokemon Blue was my first...but i never played any other RPG that until Persona 3. That really opened up to console rpgs Persona 4, Eternal Sonata, FFXIII. Now i feel stupid for missing out on so many good rpg's over the years!
Yes, I am that perfect...
Pokemon Platinum FC: 3394 9814 2815
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. What was your "gateway drug" to the RPG genre?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived