I saw a 3D TV that works without glasses in real life... My impresions

#1XxKratosxXPosted 7/3/2010 9:45:20 AM
I saw this TV in the Deutsche Museum in Munich a week ago, it was displaying a protein molecule in 3D spinning around in the nanotechnology section of the museum. I assume that the 3DS will use a similar technology in its display.

-At first I didnt notice that it was 3d but I looked closer and noticed that I could see the depth in the molecule it displayed

-The viewing angle was pretty wide and not restricting (You dont need to hold your head dead still to keep the 3d effect from messing up). When the viewing angle or one eye is closed the display is blurry, similar to normal 3d w/o glasses.

-You cannot see the 3D with only one eye open, you cannot see 3D(depth) in real life with one eye either.

-This may depend on the image shown, but the image was not ridicioulously 3D like the 3D they use in movies, it just had depth which was noticeable but not much different than a 2D display

Overall I was impressed and I think that this technology is a welcome addition into the gaming community. I however hope that the 3DS is more 3D(moves objects further out of the monitor) than that monitor I saw, but it probably isnt. Ask any questions you want here.
---
PoisonRamune"Have you tried making out with your L button?"
On a DS's L button not working
#2ThatPutzpieGuyPosted 7/3/2010 11:07:48 AM
They could've adjusted the 3D on the screen so it wasn't as deep, but allowed for a better viewing angle, if that's how things work with 3D screens.
---
...he's mixing CE and Facebook, it's like mixing vinegar and baking soda, awesome to watch, but really just a big mess. - Square
#3T3H_1337_N1NJ4Posted 7/3/2010 11:30:53 AM
-You cannot see the 3D with only one eye open, you cannot see 3D(depth) in real life with one eye either.

you cannot see 3D(depth) in real life with one eye either.

Mind = Blown.
#4Sarick_LyrePosted 7/3/2010 7:30:38 PM
you cannot see 3D(depth) in real life with one eye either.

Actually you can. Though this is irrelevant to the 3DS system because the majority of all effects are already seen in normal 3D video games (that aren't 3D like the 3DS).

Things like if something appears smaller or higher seem further away, or if something blocks your view of something the thing that is blocking it will be closer. There's a whole bunch of things that give depth perception without having a second eye, you just can't use 3D screens or glasses.

There is of course one thing even 3D televisions and the 3DS are missing. That is the ability to refocus your eyes. We focus them according to distance we're trying to look at. If I look at the coin on the ground across the room my eyes focus to that. If I then look at the desk which is closer I refocus. People with only one eye can do this too.
#5scarycrayonsPosted 7/3/2010 7:45:57 PM
I've heard that the problems with 'wide-range non-glasses 3DTV' technology is mainly that it isn't quite as wide-range as it sounds... it has about 8 'viewing points' that cover a wide angle.

If you're positioned between two viewing points, and move your head slightly to the left or right, you see different images and it seems like the screen 'messes up' (ie. goes completely blurry, causes headaches).

It's great if you stay in one position when watching the TV, but it'd mess up completely if you moved around while playing games, which the Wii/Kinect/headtracking/etc will require...

---
http://scarycrayons.weebly.com/
#6DGM09Posted 7/4/2010 6:42:22 AM
Hilarious literature swarms this topic.
---
Bang.