about the placement of the dpad

#1chicago63Posted 7/3/2010 4:21:58 PM
If you look at a picture of the 3DS, you'll notice the D-Pad is below the Slide Pad. It's very easy to picture in your mind how awkward it will be to use the D-Pad while playing older DS games. Wouldn't it make more sense to put the D-Pad ABOVE the slide pad, making it feel a lot less awkward? Discuss.
#2ArchBishopofHHPosted 7/3/2010 4:40:36 PM
Because we need to make it comfortable for 3ds games, not ds games. That's the point of getting the system in the first place. If we moved the dpad up and the analog stick down, we'd just have the annoying psp setup
---
~Arch Bishop of Hip-Hop
#3TimohtepPosted 7/3/2010 4:41:28 PM
And I bet they'll have slide pad support for DS games anyway.
---
"Take about 5 dozen eggs, start puttin' 'em in a bowl, mix the **** out of 'em, and what do you get?"
Friend Codes in Profile
#4robinhoekPosted 7/3/2010 4:45:15 PM

Because we need to make it comfortable for 3ds games, not ds games. That's the point of getting the system in the first place. If we moved the dpad up and the analog stick down, we'd just have the annoying psp setup

This
#5ToastIsWooshPosted 7/3/2010 4:45:37 PM

This

And I bet they'll have slide pad support for DS games anyway.

That
I especially like the second idea. I'd love to play SM64 again with a slide pad. :3
---
http://i48.tinypic.com/2ztiy2w.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/332vyw6.jpg
#6IfOnlyForOncePosted 7/3/2010 4:58:20 PM
Playing DS games with the slide pad will definitely happen. The DS games are only programmed for 8-direction input (without any sensitivity, either), so playing Super Mario 64 DS with the slide pad won't really give you an authentic feel, however.
---
Get smashed, gate crash!
#7Microfox1Posted 7/3/2010 6:36:29 PM
The DS games are only programmed for 8-direction input (without any sensitivity, either), so playing Super Mario 64 DS with the slide pad won't really give you an authentic feel, however.

This. This so much. I can't seem to get people to understand that IF the slide pad is usable on DS games, it will be an analog "stick" emulating an 8-way directional pad, meaning none of the advantages of an analog stick will actually be present. Games like SM64DS will just feel... weird.
---
i saw a guy eating a big mac today, SIGN OF AN MGS4 360 PORT!?!? - headwounds13
#8DarkSideOfBluePosted 7/3/2010 7:26:20 PM
Picked up my DSi and tired to pretend there was another D-Pad below the existing one, relatively the place a 3DS D-Pad would be.

It's not that uncomfortable, really. You have to hold the system sightly differently with your left hand, but it's not terrible.