glad nintendos sticking to cartridges

#1snowman_5Posted 7/4/2010 8:15:56 AM
is anyone else glad nintendos sticking to cartridges for the 3ds instead of going the umd route? i for one am glad for a few reasons:

1. LOADING TIME. although its not a HUGE deal, the psps loading time is horrible, taking up to minutes for some games. on the ds, there was NO single player loading time, which is a huge plus for nintendo in my opinion.

2. memory. the starting memory of the 3ds cartridge is 2 gb, more than the umd and even gamecube disc. the developement possibilities are almost endless here, and the memory size is sure to rise as the system evolves

3. durability. this one's common sense. u can put a cartridge through hell, and the worst thing that will happen is you'll have to blow on it before you play the game. disks, as we all know, can break or get scratched easily

anyone else agree?
#2SuperShadowAcePosted 7/4/2010 8:17:14 AM
Also the UMD uses more battery power and the disc reading noise is annoying to another people in public.
---
http://ofnoobsandmen.com/ <----Good comic
Game contact information in profile. Also, please remember to make your post readable.
#3ToastIsWooshPosted 7/4/2010 8:22:49 AM
Yep. I hated UMDs. My Ape Escape UMD pretty much split in half down the seam. I couldn't play it afterward. ;_;
---
http://i48.tinypic.com/2ztiy2w.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/332vyw6.jpg
#4AceBandage JrPosted 7/4/2010 8:22:51 AM
Technically, they're cards, not carts.
But yeah, it's the best thing for handhelds, especially given that the 3DS cards can hold more then UMDs.
---
<('.'<)(^'.'<) (^'.'^) <( '.' )> (^'.'^) (>'.'^)(>'.')> DO THE KIRBY!!
If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?
#5scarycrayonsPosted 7/4/2010 8:24:55 AM
I'm glad there'll be no loading times, but I'm a little worried about the sound quality!

The DS had really bad audio compared to the PSP. I mean, it was tolerable, but you could never get soundtracks for games like LocoRoco on a DS, because it relied on crystal-clear CD Audio.

The end result was that games with great music (ie. TWEWY) sounded incredibly tinny and handheldy on the DS, even though they were beautiful tracks on the OSTs... so I'm really hoping that the 3DS will have better audio quality, but that might not be the case if they're still using carts.

---
http://scarycrayons.weebly.com/
#6D NycePosted 7/4/2010 8:26:22 AM
Yup my mom must have stepped on one of my nephews UMD's this morning. I saw SvR 2008 laying in a broken shell on the counter.

I chuckled to myself as I remember about 2 years ago, I told my sister to get my nephews DS' instead of PSP's.
---
Brawl-0344-9123-3537-Nyce
#7D NycePosted 7/4/2010 8:28:35 AM
sorry for dbl, but from what I understand we will now be able to enjoy sound at 44100 hz. Standard MP3 sample rate.

This was a deciding factor in this handheld gen for me too. There's no reason a handheld shouldn't be able to deliver excellent audio with or without headphones.
---
Brawl-0344-9123-3537-Nyce
#8SragentThomPosted 7/4/2010 8:40:47 AM

is anyone else glad nintendos sticking to cartridges for the 3ds instead of going the umd route? i for one am glad for a few reasons:

1. LOADING TIME. although its not a HUGE deal, the psps loading time is horrible, taking up to minutes for some games. on the ds, there was NO single player loading time, which is a huge plus for nintendo in my opinion.

2. memory. the starting memory of the 3ds cartridge is 2 gb, more than the umd and even gamecube disc. the developement possibilities are almost endless here, and the memory size is sure to rise as the system evolves

3. durability. this one's common sense. u can put a cartridge through hell, and the worst thing that will happen is you'll have to blow on it before you play the game. disks, as we all know, can break or get scratched easily

anyone else agree?

I'm pretty sure they are loading times since the DS have to transfer information to ram and the bigger 128MB carts and higher have slower load times than the 32MB and 64MB.
#9AceBandage JrPosted 7/4/2010 9:13:33 AM
I'm glad there'll be no loading times, but I'm a little worried about the sound quality!

The DS had really bad audio compared to the PSP. I mean, it was tolerable, but you could never get soundtracks for games like LocoRoco on a DS, because it relied on crystal-clear CD Audio.

The end result was that games with great music (ie. TWEWY) sounded incredibly tinny and handheldy on the DS, even though they were beautiful tracks on the OSTs... so I'm really hoping that the 3DS will have better audio quality, but that might not be the case if they're still using carts.

The format really had nothing to do with it.
The reason it sounded like that was because they had to compress the music to fit in that small of a space (usually less than 256MB).
Now that they have 2 Gigabytes (yes, bytes not bits) they won't have to compress the audio.
---
<('.'<)(^'.'<) (^'.'^) <( '.' )> (^'.'^) (>'.'^)(>'.')> DO THE KIRBY!!
If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?
#10SragentThomPosted 7/4/2010 9:19:06 AM
Most DS game doesn't use compressed music only MIDI format.They still have to compress music because it usually take up a lot of space especially with sound(voice sound effects ect) and FMVS and the game it self.