glad nintendos sticking to cartridges

#111xnamkcorPosted 7/10/2010 7:36:27 AM
When the PSP was in production the biggest portable cart was either 32 or 64MB. The 1800MB size of the UMD was enormous. Now that DS is out and 3DS is on it's way, the disk seems stupid and small. The aspects that were mistakes are that the drive uses battery power and you can't upgrade disk types mid run. Load times are annoying, but not a major reason to not like a medium, especially when it had between 7-14 times the storage.

Once again, now, flash media is best, but I cannot condone mocking Sony as if 512MB carts existed(and were in use by their direct competition) when they designed the PSP.
#112Shinobi120Posted 7/10/2010 8:05:58 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#113Shinobi120Posted 7/10/2010 8:11:46 AM

Cartridges are superior in every level except for one thing: they can die.

You'd have to be crazy to think that cartridges can die out on you faster than UMD's as they have a longer lifespan...

And the same for people thinking that there would be loading times on a CART/CARD...

I'm against digital distribution too for the reasons already mentioned by other posters.

Same here. I would always want to own copies of certain games, because it'll be proof that I own them, & that I can still play them years down the road, unlike DD.
---
http://www.ksot.com/BoardsFAQ.html
#114Shinobi120Posted 7/10/2010 8:17:57 AM

I LOVE that 3DS uses cards over discs, and I'm hoping that consoles will do the same in the future.

Card readers are MUCH cheaper than Disc Drives, and last infinitely longer. Plus, since SD Cards now go over 32GB, cards would actually store more data than DVDs, and Nintendo/Microsoft wouldn't have to pay Sony a Licensing Fee to use Blu-Ray Discs.

They wouldn't have to pay Sony anything, only the BDA. Sony doesn't truly own Blu-Ray.
---
http://www.ksot.com/BoardsFAQ.html
#115SragentThomPosted 7/10/2010 8:34:55 AM

[quoted text]

You'd have to be crazy to think that cartridges can die out on you faster than UMD's as they have a longer lifespan...

And the same for people thinking that there would be loading times on a CART/CARD...

[quoted text]

Same here. I would always want to own copies of certain games, because it'll be proof that I own them, & that I can still play them years down the road, unlike DD.

There are always loading times since the data is loaded into ram.Flash media isn't as fast as ram.
#116xnamkcorPosted 7/10/2010 9:25:39 AM
That's it! Genius!

We'll sell sets of ROM modules that total 16Gb per game and we insert it directly into the RAM bus. The ROM will have all the stuff it needs permanetly loaded and one embedded module will take care of things like status and progress. And another RAM module will be loaded with save data from some onboard NAND on each boot. Hopefully users won't notice it's loading.

Each game will cost 200USD.
#117SragentThomPosted 7/10/2010 9:44:56 AM

That's it! Genius!

We'll sell sets of ROM modules that total 16Gb per game and we insert it directly into the RAM bus. The ROM will have all the stuff it needs permanetly loaded and one embedded module will take care of things like status and progress. And another RAM module will be loaded with save data from some onboard NAND on each boot. Hopefully users won't notice it's loading.

Each game will cost 200USD.

You do realize you taking this too seriously?
#118SragentThomPosted 7/10/2010 9:46:54 AM
Oh yeah.NOR flash have s-ram like memory thus it doesn't have to copy data to RAM On the system.It's pretty cool technology but it have a much more slower write-speed and an even slower erase speed.
#119xnamkcorPosted 7/10/2010 10:09:25 AM
"You do realize you taking this too seriously?"

Or am I taking it too unseriously?
#120xnamkcorPosted 7/10/2010 10:10:47 AM
"Oh yeah.NOR flash have s-ram like memory thus it doesn't have to copy data to RAM On the system.It's pretty cool technology but it have a much more slower write-speed and an even slower erase speed."

Could we use a form of ROM NOR for the carts?