Last-gen, next-gen...what gen is 3DS?

#1Darth_KamcioPosted 7/5/2010 1:26:06 AM
PS2, Xbox and Gamecube's gen is called last gen.
This gen (Wii, PS3, Xbox360) is called next-gen (which is stupid for me). What is 3DS's gen called?

---
if i wanted a game to jump out at me, i'd slam my face into the tv screen... - ZeroJinKui about 3D games
#2nonexistingheroPosted 7/5/2010 1:26:49 AM
Next-gen handheld.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#3BIGLlittlelPosted 7/5/2010 1:28:57 AM
well, next gen is actually the stupid label given to whatever the current gen of gaming is, so next gen is actually the current gen. So when there are at least two 8th gen systems, it will be "Next gen" and 360/wii/ds/psp/ps3 will be last gen. That is of course based of observation of the last two gaming generations.
---
You've got it under control?! You're grabbing a ****ing bazooka, dumbass!
~Red Mist
#4pichufan2000Posted 7/5/2010 1:37:36 AM
8th gen....
or how about:

"Who gives a **** gen"
---
Nintendo 64 Collector
http://backloggery.com/main.php?user=pichu199x
#5Link3Posted 7/5/2010 1:39:37 AM
Next, since it's not out. PS3/360 are considered current-gen now. Wii depends on who you ask.

---
#6DiggerdudePosted 7/5/2010 2:10:30 AM
Handhelds are different IMO.

I would do it this way:

Gameboy had 3 generations (generation defined as offering significant hardware upgrades that were used by a significant number of games): (1) the original monochrome models (including Pocket etc.), (2) GB Color, (3) GBA (includes SP's, Micros etc.).

To me, the 3DS is 2nd generation DS hardware. Or "next gen" DS hardware.

3rd if you want to consider DSi as 2nd. But the DSi's slightly improved hardware hasn't really been exploited by games, and with 3DS coming, probably never will be. So I'd call 3DS the next gen DS, and include DSi as part of the 1st gen.

---
>---Diggerdude---<
Loves handhelds: owns PSP, NDSL & many others.
#7LRodCPosted 7/5/2010 2:39:54 AM
4th generation: SNES/Genesis/Turbographx 16/Game Boy
5th generation: N64/Saturn/PS1/Game Boy Color
6th generation: GCN/Dreamcast/PS2/Xbox/Game Boy Advance
7th generation: Wii/PS3/Xbox 360/DS/PSP
8th generation: 3DS

It doesn't matter how powerful the system is, if it's released within that time period, then it is that gen. Only console fanboys will tell you that the Wii is "last generation". 3DS is after the DS which is 7th gen, so it is the 8th generation.
---
R.I.P. LightningrodC, 8/30/05 - 6/6/07
http://backloggery.com/lightningrodc
#8Megaman OmegaPosted 7/5/2010 2:46:13 AM
Gen 8: 3DS as well as the "WiiHD, X720 and PS4" or whatever you want to call them
Gen 7: DS, PSP, Wii, PS3, X360
Gen 6: GBA, GC, XBox, PS2, DC
Gen 5: GBC, N64, PS
Gen 4: SNES
Gen 3: NES

and so on... the wikipedia has a nice article on it, by the way:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_game_consoles_%28seventh_generation%29

To me, the 3DS is 2nd generation DS hardware. Or "next gen" DS hardware.

3rd if you want to consider DSi as 2nd. But the DSi's slightly improved hardware hasn't really been exploited by games, and with 3DS coming, probably never will be. So I'd call 3DS the next gen DS, and include DSi as part of the 1st gen.

Then you're wrong. The 3DS isn't a DS at all. For obvious reasons, it looks like one, but that's it. The 3DS is to the DS what the DS was to the GBA, and so on.
---
Official Vaporeon of the B/W Boards
Proud member of M.U.K.
#9DiggerdudePosted 7/5/2010 3:08:19 AM
Then you're wrong. The 3DS isn't a DS at all. For obvious reasons, it looks like one, but that's it. The 3DS is to the DS what the DS was to the GBA, and so on.

By that logic, the Gameboy Advance wasn't a Gameboy. The 3DS is most definitely the DS's successor - it's part of the same family. The "3DS" name is clearly a play on "3D" and "DS." Just as the GBA was the GB/GBC's successor, despite the vastly superior specs, so the 3DS is the DS's successor.

Or we can also look at Nintendo's handhelds as a continuum, which makes 3DS the 5th generation Nintendo handheld platform. (GB, GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS)

---
>---Diggerdude---<
Loves handhelds: owns PSP, NDSL & many others.
#10Megaman OmegaPosted 7/5/2010 3:15:47 AM
That's right. The GBA isn't a Game Boy. It'a GBA. It's only Game Boy by name and umm... backwards compatibility.
---
Official Vaporeon of the B/W Boards
Proud member of M.U.K.