Last-gen, next-gen...what gen is 3DS?

#11Link3Posted 7/5/2010 3:24:21 AM
That's right. The GBA isn't a Game Boy. It'a GBA. It's only Game Boy by name and umm... backwards compatibility.

Oh, come on. He obviously meant the 3DS is the successor to the DS. Which it is. And saying the Game Boy Advance isn't part of the Game Boy line is like saying the Playstation 2 and 3 aren't part of the Playstation line. It was the next generation of Game Boys, the successor to the Game Boy Color. Still a Game Boy. The DS ditched the Game Boy name, but was the successor to the GBA (Unless you still believe that "Third Pillar" crap which was a fallback in case the DS was a failure.) and the beginning of the DS line, which includes the 3DS.

---
#12Megaman OmegaPosted 7/5/2010 3:43:57 AM
Being in the same line is not the same thing as being the same. Of course the GBA is in the game boy line, but it's not a game boy.
---
Official Vaporeon of the B/W Boards
Proud member of M.U.K.
#13CobaltosPosted 7/5/2010 7:19:01 AM
So much misunderstanding going on in this topic.
---
^He's lying.
Wii FC: 6994-9886-0165-7282, Gamertag: Cobaltos
#14CubeTVPosted 7/5/2010 8:07:19 AM
I love my Game boy, I have about 20 for it, but I got about 40 games for DS but I always seem to play my game boy more
#15D NycePosted 7/5/2010 9:11:05 AM
I think in general most people count generations by consoles competing for marketshare at the same time. Not ONLY the evolution of the console itself. 3DS is an 8th gen product, because it's release will compete with the PSP2, iPhone/pad or whatever may have you. Same way the GB(1989) competed with Game Gear, Neo Geo, and Lynx, GBC(1998 almost ten years later) competed with Neo Geo Pocket (Color).

The sales of GB and GBC are counted as one, but I think that was on Nintendo's choice. They have set the standard for handheld evolution since the beginning of handheld gaming, thusly they DID have the ability to choose when a handheld consoles life would begin/end.

And on another note, I call every gameboy (pocket, color, advance) a gameboy. I will do the same with the DS. But this does not mean that they fall into the same gen to me. Another thing I've noticed in this topic is the fact that the name 3DS is not final, but people want to continue to call it a DS despite the fact of official confirmation. Besides that 3DS doesn't mean "3 Dual Screen" when compared to the DS.
---
Brawl-0344-9123-3537-Nyce
#16Ness EX 2 Plus ALPHAPosted 7/5/2010 10:20:45 PM
Think about it this way: A Sandwich just isn't a sandwich without the tangy zip of Miracle Whip.

---
Steam: Mr. Moe, Pokemon SS: 0088 4521 6120
Playing: Left 4 Dead 2, Team Fortress 2, FreeSpace 2
#17TheLightMagePosted 7/5/2010 11:56:35 PM
Great, now I want a sandwich. I don't even like Miracle Whip.

*yells* WOMAN! MAKE ME A SAMMICH!
---
There I was, scratching my butt (hardcore) in my own home. And I look out the window.. and I see my neighbor. Nice.
#18kiddykongaPosted 7/6/2010 9:42:57 AM
Use an open-faced club, like the sandwedge!

Mmmm open-faced club sandwich...
---
Why is it that Mario gets a Galaxy but Donkey Kong only gets a Country?
#19leeko_linkPosted 7/8/2010 7:48:58 AM
"Last-gen, next-gen...what gen is 3DS?"

on the handheld side of things:

last-gen = Game Boy Advance, GBA SP, Game Boy Micro, Zodiac, Gizmondo, N-Gage, N-Gage QD, and Wonder Swan Crystal

current-gen = DS, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL, PSP, iPhone, iPod, and iPad.

next-gen = 3DS and more upgrades of it that we don't yet know about, PSP2 or PSPHone (maybe), iPad 2/iPhone 2.

on the console side of things:

last-gen = Sega Dreamcast, PlayStation 2, GameCube, and Xbox

current-gen = Xbox 360, Wii, PlayStation 3, and OnLive

next-gen = New Nintendo console, PlayStation 4, Xbox 720 (working name), OnLive 2 (maybe).

So there you have it.
#20Megaman OmegaPosted 7/8/2010 8:29:42 AM

8th gen....
or how about:

"Who gives a **** gen"

This.
/topic
---
Official Vaporeon of the B/W Boards
Proud member of M.U.K.