Will this have a capacitive or original DS style touch screen?

#1sarevokmbPosted 7/5/2010 7:54:59 AM
Seeing as how the touch screen won't be the main focus of this system, unlike the original DS, I could see them keeping the same old style touch screen technology, but I really hope that they don't. Now that most devices use capacitive screens, which allow for better accuracy and multiple touch recognition, and are much more durable, the price of the technology isn't that high, so it would be nice to see Nintendo make the switch.

The original DS's resistive technology was cool at the time, but now that even cell phones in the mid price range are using the far superior technology, it is a bit underwhelming.
---
"The law is only a protection when everyone agrees to be bound by it. We don't." -Thane, Mass Effect 2
#2MegagutsPosted 7/5/2010 8:03:54 AM
For games i dont see much point in multi-touch recognition. Wario Ware game would seem (IMO) the only game where multi-touch would be a key part of game instead of some half-assed way thrown in
---
GT: ConfederateRokr
Fishsticks anyone?
#3turtleman64Posted 7/5/2010 9:10:35 AM
I always felt being able to use a stylus was more accurate than the finger touch-style systems. IIRC, none of those multi touch fingertouch systems (iPhone really) don't allow for use of a style.
#4AkaneJonesPosted 7/5/2010 4:14:35 PM
>I always felt being able to use a stylus was more accurate than the finger touch-style systems. IIRC, none of those multi touch fingertouch systems (iPhone really) don't allow for use of a style.

If multi-touch pad meant finger touch, only, I wouldn't want that thing with in a million miles from the 3DS. My finger-nails get in the way of using that kind of crap with any accuracy, I'm sure I not the only one. I hate those screens and wouldn't want them for serious game play. It would total ruin DS games that use the stylus.
#5MicroOmegaManPosted 7/5/2010 9:48:48 PM
Well, if I might point something out; there is no "superior" between resistive and capacitive touch-screens. They both have situations in which they are more useful than the other. For gaming especially.
---
If the game gets a bad score, bash the game; if the game gets a good score, bash the reviewer. - stanthelovebot
Buy these: Klonoa (Wii), Fragile Dreams,
#6elheberPosted 7/6/2010 12:43:40 AM
I'd like electromagnetic resonance like on Wacom tablets. This way you could hover your stylus over the bottom screen (without touching) and see where it's hovering over on the top screen, even before pressing down.

Another advantage of this would be pressure sensitivity. You can hover the stylus above the screen and the 3DS would know exactly where you're hovering over, but even when you press down on the screen, there would be a range of pressures you can use. I could see it used for many things such as Ninja Gaiden type games where you could use different attack strengths depending on the strength of your tap/stroke. Or being able to draw with depth on the 3D screen.

Disadvantages include not being able to use your fingers, and a tiny bit of input lag (which a tiny bit is a little too much for gaming). Plus if you lose your stylus, you can't just use a pen cap.
---
"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."
Daos (Doritos and Orange Soda) for Con2 currency name. I support this.
#7DiggerdudePosted 7/6/2010 6:12:35 AM
It's going to be like the DS TS. Which is mostly a good thing IMO.

I also own an iPod Touch, and while the multitouch is cool, having to use fingers often obscures a good part of the screen and basically I'd rather be using a stylus.

---
>---Diggerdude---<
Loves handhelds: owns PSP, NDSL & many others.