Are video games a waste of time...

#1MaKdPosted 7/5/2010 9:48:42 AM
Or are they affecting us in ways that benefit us in the long term? Should we be doing some more "productive?", like trying to save the world?

I see video game as a great way to relax. I think with out them, I would lose a big part of life that I love to do.
---
Diablo III - Oh....my....god...
#2ffdghPosted 7/5/2010 9:54:58 AM
lol replace videogames with technology XD
---
omg hg/ss
http://tiny.cc/gn7zp / http://tiny.cc/2pi09
#3SatarackPosted 7/5/2010 9:57:34 AM
People derive enjoyment from them, that alone justifies video games.

But certain video games do give us added benefits. FPS, and some other genres, have been shown to improve our spacial awareness (this is how aware we are of what's going on around us). There have been studies that had non gamers play a FPS, and then after a few months of playing, they tested them, and found that their spacial awareness had improved.
---
Would the 3DS be too classy to take to the toilet?
#4KHRZPosted 7/5/2010 10:06:34 AM
Existence is a waste of time.

If spacetime didn't exist, no time would be wasted
---
SSBB FC: 4640-1011-4754 Name: KHRZ
#5mrfatcatPosted 7/5/2010 10:10:48 AM
the 1:1 combat in Wii Sports Resort helps my reflexes.
---
Advertising a MMO: Minecraft.net
It there a problem?
#6Prince ShondronaiPosted 7/5/2010 10:46:29 AM
Existence is a waste of time.

If spacetime didn't exist, no time would be wasted

No one else is using it, why shouldn't we?
---
Awesomest comic ever:
www.coarselimely.com
#7Sano_skyPosted 7/5/2010 11:25:56 AM
If your inside playing game shooting people it means your not outside shooting people video games save lives
---
WFC: 2757-4808-2093-9515
Waste O' Topic.
#8Megaman OmegaPosted 7/5/2010 11:55:30 AM
Video games are entertainment. Just like watching TV, reading a book and so on is entertainment, too. Of course, they're not 100% the same thing, but all in all, they're entertainment. You could argue that sports, per example, is better for your health than video games, but it's entertainment nevertheless.

The question would rather be wether entertainment is a waste of time, not just video games.
---
Official Vaporeon of the B/W Boards
Proud member of M.U.K.
#9PhD_WhoPosted 7/5/2010 11:57:01 AM
my sig will help ya
---
Time enjoyed wasting, Was not wasted.
#10DiggerdudePosted 7/5/2010 12:49:35 PM
Yes, videogames ARE a waste of time.

So is watching TV and playing cards.

It's called entertainment, and is fine as long as it's done in moderation. IMO, on AVERAGE, If you're playing more than 2 hours a day, you are wasting part of your life away that could be much better spent. If you are balancing your life out with genuine physical activity (and playing ridiculous Wii sports games doesn't count), education, non-gaming social activities, and/work - then it's fine to play videogames. But in moderation. Sadly, some people don't moderate at all, and play practically all day - a very poor choice.

---
>---Diggerdude---<
Loves handhelds: owns PSP, NDSL & many others.