Anyone else might NOT get this?

#1kiddykongaPosted 7/6/2010 8:38:05 AM
I have had every Nintendo system (sans Virtual Boy) since the NES. Every single iteration, that includes all 3 GBA's and all 4 DS's. I love Nintendo to death, and the games that were announced sound amazing, but I'm getting tired of shelling out money on a system that will have a better version of it out in a year or 2. These systems get outdated quicker than computers. I am hesitant about the whole 3D thing with the 3DS, I'm more concerned about just getting new games for a Nintendo handheld. But I'm just curious as to whether or not I'm alone. I realize I don't *have* to always get the upgraded systems as they come out, but I just always felt the need to. With that all said, the system looks and sound amazing, even before getting to see the 3D technology of it. But I'm just not excited like I was with every other Nintendo system (barring Virtual Boy). Maybe I'll sit this one out or wait until the inevitable upgraded 3DS comes out and at a cheaper price.
---
Why is it that Mario gets a Galaxy but Donkey Kong only gets a Country?
#2Megaman OmegaPosted 7/6/2010 8:42:09 AM

I realize I don't *have* to always get the upgraded systems as they come out, but I just always felt the need to.

This is the important part. That feeling is wrong. You definitely don't need the revisions, even if your feeling is telling you so. Buy the 3DS, and when a revision comes out, don't buy it even if it feels wrong.

Except, of course, the revision is really awesome. But the point is, you shouldn't listen to your feelings if they are obviously wrong. That might not be easy, but you must get over it.
---
Official Vaporeon of the B/W Boards
Proud member of M.U.K.
#3KogaSteelfangPosted 7/6/2010 8:42:42 AM
I've NEVER felt the need to upgrade.

Old fat black/white GB.
Big Purple GBA.
DS Phat.

Unless one breaks or something, I see no need to upgrade.
I see others posting that they felt the need to buy the newer versions, and I just don't understand that. Sure, if you want it, and can afford it, go for it. But why oh why would anyone ever just buy it because its available?

IMO, you can either get a 3ds first release, or wait a couple of yearts and get the rehash.
---
Supported by wings of faith, Wielding a sword of light.
I am a believer.
#4kiddykonga(Topic Creator)Posted 7/6/2010 8:51:15 AM
^^^
That's what I'm thinking. Thinking of waiting, but just beyond the point of "having" to buy the upgraded systems, I feel like I'm at the point where Nintendo systems don't excite me as much anymore, and I was really just curious if anyone else felt the same way. The only thing that has me on the fence which might cause me to get it, is the fact that it's backward compatible.
---
Why is it that Mario gets a Galaxy but Donkey Kong only gets a Country?
#5GrampaGortPosted 7/6/2010 8:51:28 AM
I`ve never upgraded either.

Clear-Purple GBC
Clear-Purple GBA
Silver and Black DS `Phat`

I was considering not buying the first 3DS, and waiting for the second one because there is a lot that they potentially have to fix... But then again, I want to fully support Nintendo through making the 3DS, especially since people may be cautious of it. If they get terrible sales, they might pull it like the Virtual Boy... I want to make sure that doesn`t happen!

In the end, it just comes to how poor I am at the time the first 3DS comes out.
Chances are that I`ll wait for the prices to go down, and buy the first one a day before the second version is announced...
#6Megaman OmegaPosted 7/6/2010 9:02:33 AM

Chances are that I`ll wait for the prices to go down, and buy the first one a day before the second version is announced...

Isn't that like the exact opposite of what you wanted in the first post?

Besides, buying a system's revision instead of the first version so it won't be outdated doesn't make sense. That way it will take about the same 1-2 years until the second revision is out and your system is outdated again. It doesn't matter what you buy, there will always be a revision or successor out 1-2 years later, so you might just as well buy the first 3DS.
---
Official Vaporeon of the B/W Boards
Proud member of M.U.K.
#7pichufan2000Posted 7/6/2010 9:16:03 AM
There are 4 GBA's (Original, SP, SP+, Micro)
And did you have all 4 Game Boys?(save Game Boy Light) (Who the f would buy all at full price?)
---
Nintendo 64 Collector
http://backloggery.com/main.php?user=pichu199x
#8LawnNinjaPosted 7/6/2010 9:32:07 AM
Maybe I'll sit this one out or wait until the inevitable upgraded 3DS comes out and at a cheaper price.

Uhh, this is some pretty terrible logic... the potential "3DSLite" definitely won't come out at a cheaper price. If we're lucky, the upgraded version will debut at the launch price and coincide with a price cut for the original 3DS. If we're not lucky, there will be no price cuts and the upgraded model will simply be more expensive.

Either way, I see no reason to hold off on 3DS. I've never felt the need to buy an upgraded system. My first handheld was a GameBoy Pocket (which was the lowest-end model available at the time), and I never owned a GBC. I had the original GBA, but never bought an SP, SP+ or Micro. I own an original DS, and have never bought a Lite, DSi, or XL.

My guess is that by the time the last round of 3DS updates come, the next generation will be gearing up anyway. So I'm going to buy the 3DS on day one and enjoy 3D gaming when it's brand new and exciting.

---
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
#9frogman_295Posted 7/6/2010 9:36:56 AM
I'm getting this day 1. It's your own fault for buying every damn hardware revision Nintendo put out. This is a completely new system, and has great games in the works. I'm definitely not waiting a couple of years for the first revision.
---
Support gaming: support the Wii.
#10BenshieldsPosted 7/6/2010 9:43:03 AM
well the way i see this is that once the next 3ds comes out you can't technically buy that once since you buy the upgrade. since they do have an upgrade every year or two.