Why are the buttons uneven with the D-pad?

#21gransPosted 7/7/2010 8:10:41 PM
The designer of the 3DS has stated that another slider CANNOT be added due to there being important circuitry on the other side. There's basically no room under the hood for another one.
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#22sumweeabooPosted 7/7/2010 8:13:21 PM
I could play with the D-pad in that spot. :p
---
#23kalooPosted 7/7/2010 8:15:00 PM
Since when does Mario not work with Analogue?
---
NEW ROCKET KNIGHT~
#24BigoSmalloPosted 7/8/2010 4:59:37 AM
This is gonna be like the PSP all over again.

Nintendo should have seen how bad only having one analogue stick on the PSP was and added 2 to the 3DS.
#25Megaman OmegaPosted 7/8/2010 5:29:08 AM
Exactly! The 3DS totally needs 3 analog sticks, 2 D-pads, 2 multi-imput touch screens, 4 shoulder buttons, A, B, C, D, E, X, Y and Z keys, 4 cameras, START, SELECT, HOME, EXIT, MODE and POWER buttons, a volume slider, a brightness slider, a difficulcy slider, a 3D slider as well as Gyroscope plus Gravimeter plus Magnetometer plus Accelerometer, not to forget Amperemeter, Thermometer and Barometer to perfectly accommodate the console for all genres!
---
Official Vaporeon of the B/W Boards
Proud member of M.U.K.
#26MetroidJunkiePosted 7/8/2010 5:53:17 AM
Exactly! The 3DS totally needs 3 analog sticks, 2 D-pads, 2 multi-imput touch screens, 4 shoulder buttons, A, B, C, D, E, X, Y and Z keys, 4 cameras, START, SELECT, HOME, EXIT, MODE and POWER buttons, a volume slider, a brightness slider, a difficulcy slider, a 3D slider as well as Gyroscope plus Gravimeter plus Magnetometer plus Accelerometer, not to forget Amperemeter, Thermometer and Barometer to perfectly accommodate the console for all genres!

lol, good one. I'll bet these people complaining about a second analog slider don't realize that that would ruin the whole purpose of the touch screen. If they added a second analog slider, who would actually use the touch screen? Nintendo isn't seeking to regress to a more traditional control scheme.
#27Sarick_LyrePosted 7/8/2010 6:00:36 AM

I like shoulder (L and R) buttons though. I suppose we need four of them according to the exaggeration guidelines.
---
Shigeru Miyamoto proclaims that home consoles will be replaced by a giant Nintendo 3DS XL.
http://au.ds.ign.com/articles/110/1104396p2.html
#28Megaman OmegaPosted 7/8/2010 6:06:43 AM

lol, good one. I'll bet these people complaining about a second analog slider don't realize that that would ruin the whole purpose of the touch screen. If they added a second analog slider, who would actually use the touch screen? Nintendo isn't seeking to regress to a more traditional control scheme.

Not just the touch screen, also the gyroscope and gravitometer. Adding a second analog stick would only benefit a small amount of games (namely the FPS genre) and just by a little bit, and that doesn't justify such an addition.

Of course, certain people don't retain from exaggerating greatly to make a point."OMG i only play FPS and they would be RUINED without a second analog!"

That's like saying "Hey, we should have more buttons so you can have more hotkeys in Kingdom Hearts!"

I like shoulder (L and R) buttons though. I suppose we need four of them according to the exaggeration guidelines.

You mean L1, L2, L3, L4 as well as R1, R2, R3 and R4? I agree, and we also need four buttons in the middle. Cause you know... so you can shoot while jumping while turning the camera whil zooming out while throwing a grenade while doing a salto while raising a flame shield while using a med kit while firing eye lazers while calling up the map AND also being able to talk to an NPC at the same time. This is very important, a whole genre would die without it.
---
Official Vaporeon of the B/W Boards
Proud member of M.U.K.
#29MetroidJunkiePosted 7/9/2010 4:38:37 AM
also the gyroscope and gravitometer.

Using the gyroscope for aiming might be a little risky since, while the sweet spot is generous, it could still look off while you're moving it.
#30Link3Posted 7/9/2010 5:08:19 AM
The second analog would be helpful if just as a way to control the camera in 3D games. It's not only useful in FPS, it can have a practical purpose in plenty of genres. They could still add it, and while games are currently being developed, they not only wouldn't have to use the second analog, but might actually want to as to improve the controls.

A second analog wouldn't make the touch screen obsolete. Even if it did, perhaps it's for the better, since it's much more difficult to go from the touch screen to using the face buttons than moving your thumb from a second analog to the face buttons. But the two can serve entirely different purposes. And if they did serve the same purpose, some people will much prefer the second analog and it wouldn't stop those who like the touch screen from using that. I just don't see the point in putting unnecessary limitations on the controls. Dual analogs has become a standard for controllers, excluding the Wiimote and handhelds so far, so why not? To say a second analog is just encouraging developers to make FPS is akin to saying the inclusion of the all but obsolete D-pad on modern controllers encourages tons of 2D fighting games. It's use for more than just that.

---