2D games? Officially dead or dying? (LONG TOPIC)

#1Cheko2015Posted 7/6/2010 10:57:54 PM
I mean take a look at the 3D consoles: N64, PS2, GCN, Xbox 360, etc. All of them are 3D powerhouses (or used to be back in their day). While the occasional 2D game came out on them, almost the core majority of them always followed 3D games and took advantage of the system's capabilities. An important note to make about 2D games that came out on 3D consoles is many of them were not true 2D. They were instead 2.5D (3D graphics rendered on a 2 dimensional fixed camera playing field). It seemed that true 2D games were obsolete. But yet they lived on after the 3D revolution... They even thrived...How?? Portable gaming. Portables have always been about 1-2 generations (really 1.5 IMO) behind their consoles in terms of graphics and capabilities. So 2D gaming did not find its end. It thrived on handhelds such as the Gameboy line up all the way to Game Boy Advance as 3D technology had not been given the chance to catch up yet on handhelds..

And then 3D technology did finally catch up, the DS and PSP came out. The DS while capable of 3D graphics were pretty weak on them and it was harder for the developers to make them. So while a nice bit of games followed 3D, there is still a huge library of 2D games on the DS so a nice balance was a achieved. The PSP was much stronger on 3D graphics and subsequently saw much less 2D releases then the DS (although it still had a bit like the consoles). But now with the advent of the 3DS and strong 3D graphics finally coming into play for all handhelds, how is that going to affect 2D. Is the 3DS going to follow the PSP and the Console games with 3D games (as in graphical 3D not in pop up 3D) hosting the majority of the library with just the occasional 2D game. It its occasional 2D game most likely going to turn out to be 2.5D I am not saying we will see the complete dissappearance of 2D games. But with the advent of the 3DS (and eventually the PSP's successor), I think 2D games area about to lose their haven in the portable market and we are going to see a sharp decline in them. And the ones that do make it out are going to most likely be 2.5D. So this topic could really be about the death of traditional 2D or the "Sprite". But again if that happens I think it won't happen for another 5-10 years when graphics really have a chance to improve even more making 2D that much older.

But with all that being said, as one haven for 2D games close another has opened. We now have WiiWare, PSN games, and Xbox arcade titles. All these cheaper more simplistic games use much more simple graphics, many of them employing true sprite based 2D. But these games are nothing like the games of the portable era or even the 2D console era and are for the most part much smaller and simpler. So we will see what happens to this avenue of 2D gaming as well. Who knows maybe in 5-10 years graphics will catch up with these low end games and GCN graphics might be considered low end and easy to make as opposed to 2D graphics.

FInally there is one area of video games that has not been discussed I would like to call the retro market. This retro market builds on 2D nostalgia with 2D continuations of past series or even remakes. Examples of this would be Wario Land: Shake It!!, the New Super Mario Bros. Wii (even though its 2.5D), Legend of Zelda: Four Sword Adventures, Mega Man 9, etc. So who knows maybe through this "retro market" and side games such as WiiWare games and Xbox Arcade games, 2D games will live on for quite some time. But it will be interesting to see how 3D graphics increasingly getting better and gaining more dominance in the handheld market will affect 2D gaming as a whole.

Any thoughts or opinions on this? Again this is just an open room discussion. Feel free to disagree with my views and please do back up your own. And more importantly keep it friendly.
---
joey444 Posted There wasn't a 4th Indiana Jones movie.
Denial. When reality doesn't fit with you, you simply just make up your own reality.
#2pocchama1996Posted 7/6/2010 11:00:24 PM
tl;dr

not dead or dying in fact theyre making a comeback
---
fullmetalyanal
"fullmetalyanl with a Y fullmetalYanal idiot."
#3Cheko2015(Topic Creator)Posted 7/6/2010 11:05:10 PM
I posted long topic in the title, if you did not feel like investing the time to read it then you should of never entered. Because now you are wasting both your time and mine. And you are posting without knowing the original message contained. The comeback your mentioning was already mentioned in my original post through what I reffered to as the retro market. But how long is that going to last... and traditional 2D sprites going to be lost forever down the road in favor for 2.5D gaming?
---
Denial. When reality doesn't fit with you, you simply just make up your own reality.
#4Cheko2015(Topic Creator)Posted 7/6/2010 11:06:01 PM
*and are

Sorry about the numerous typos... Its late lol...
---
#5GencoilPosted 7/6/2010 11:09:49 PM
Let's see here... Mega Man 9, Mega Man 10, Bionic Commando Rearmed, Contra Rebirth, Gradius Rebirth, Castlevania Rebirth, A Boy and His Blob, New Super Mario Bros Wii, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Rayman Origins, Hard Corps: Uprising...

Yup, 2D games are definitely dying.

---
www.klustr.net | Contra Database - www.klustr.net/contra | PSN ID: Gencoil
#6Cheko2015(Topic Creator)Posted 7/6/2010 11:15:55 PM
Gencoil
Posted 7/7/2010 2:09:49 AM
message detail Let's see here... Mega Man 9, Mega Man 10, Bionic Commando Rearmed, Contra Rebirth, Gradius Rebirth, Castlevania Rebirth, A Boy and His Blob, New Super Mario Bros Wii, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Rayman Origins, Hard Corps: Uprising...

Yup, 2D games are definitely dying.

Retro Market. Already addressed. And that exist for now but will that be the trend in the next 5-10 years. And will true 2D gaming in the form of sprites finally die in favor of 2.5 gaming. We have seen it in DKC R, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, etc. But if that happens it wont happen for a while.
---