Is GameInformer out of touch with Nintendo?

#1A MonsterPosted 7/7/2010 5:24:44 AM
As I go to the newstand and read their Magazine over the years, it seems that way.

---
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Pm1ytVdzfkI&search=baby%20got%20back%20sir%20mixalot
Warcraft Got Back
#2Hiten Mitsurugi SPosted 7/7/2010 5:56:41 AM
GameInformer, for the past 5 years at least, has been pandering to 360/PS3 action/shooter/fps games.

If you look at the covers, EVERY game is either some new game with a dude wielding a gun, or a sequel to a really violent game, OR even worse, a movie licensed game. WTF?

I don't have a problem with m-rated games at all, but I've noticed GI just goes for the same type of cover stories. Mario Galaxy 2? No cover. 3DS? I doubt it til launch. Metroid Other M? Nope. But mention Gears of War 3, God of War 3, Infamous 2, Portal 2, Bulletstorm, and yeah.......you can see the pattern.
---
Waiting for.........Final Fantasy XIV
#3MasterOtenkoPosted 7/7/2010 6:13:08 AM
They had a pretty big cover story on Epic Mickey...
---
Unyu! Unya!
#4Hiten Mitsurugi SPosted 7/7/2010 6:23:20 AM
Yeah I know, which was a surprise, but it's still a licensed game, and it was like the only exception this whole year so far.
---
Waiting for.........Final Fantasy XIV
#5LRodCPosted 7/7/2010 6:25:30 AM
Nintendo literally doesn't allow them to showcase their products on the magazine.
---
R.I.P. LightningrodC, 8/30/05 - 6/6/07
http://backloggery.com/lightningrodc
#6Big_Balla12Posted 7/7/2010 7:43:25 AM
To be fair...Portal 2 isn't something I'd call HARDCORE GUNS VIOLENCE AND GORE!

But I do see where you're coming from.
---
HD on a screen that small would have more clarity than real life.
- Wiiztec talking about the 3DS.
#7mrfatcatPosted 7/7/2010 7:53:26 AM
^^^^
I agree on the Portal 2. Any game made by Valve isn't a generic FPS.

---
Advertising a MMO: Minecraft.net
It there a problem?
#8mrfatcatPosted 7/7/2010 9:05:21 AM
One thing to say is, Nintendo doesn't really like Game Informer. GI would report on games if Nintendo allowed them.

---
Advertising a MMO: Minecraft.net
It there a problem?
#9Dmess85Posted 7/7/2010 9:05:44 AM
No, I'm pretty sure Nintendo would not want their games showcased on the cover because Nintendo has Nintendo Power to do that. Not to mention, GI has probably wanted to do that in the past, but Nintendo probably charges them up the as on royalties to use it as a cover. This is all speculation.

Nintendo has Nintendo Power, having their game showcased on a magazine that is not their own doesn't make sense, they would lose subscribers.

---
Previewing your message before you post is for suckers.
http://backloggery.com/Blasingame/sig.gif
#10chestershadowPosted 7/7/2010 2:56:23 PM
I don't think that the writers over at GI really have alot of say in the matter. The stuff that gets put on the cover of GI usually ends up being a first and indepth look at a specific game. What with Nintendo using their own magzine for that exact same purpose, you're not gonna see too many Nintendo games on the cover of GI (at least not in comparison to the other companies).

But that doesn't mean that GI is necessarily biased against nintendo. If I recall they've reviewed a good number of nintendo's first party games and a handful of 3rd party titles quite positively, and generally I do agree with their reviews moreso than most other places (except for a few like gta4. I honestly thought that game sucked the most compared to the rest of the franchise).