Kojima: 3DS Models have the same amount of qulaity as the PS3 models for MGS4.

#1ebj767Posted 7/7/2010 10:28:12 AM
"The thing is that it's hard to get a lot of feedback from players, because only so many of them could physically play the title at the event. I was hoping to shape our future direction for the game based on more of their opinions. Also, the maps and character models were all remade with a higher polygon count than before. The models are about the same quality as what we made for the PlayStation 3, but you really can't tell within the game. We could've made it look better if we had a little more time."

Source: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3180278

I'm surprised they're getting PS3 polygon counts.

Imagine without the 3D...
#2gransPosted 7/7/2010 10:31:18 AM
Gives us a pretty good idea about how powerful the 3DS' graphical hardware is for sure. It's pretty amazing. Although i'd say overall quality doesn't really mean higher polygons. He's talking shaders and texture quality too. The shaders are what makes the 3DS stand apart from any other handheld or last gen console.

I really want some specific info from that Pica200 chip, it's definitely not using the 2006 model that was falsely reported by several news sources.
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#3ShinibiPosted 7/7/2010 10:36:04 AM
Hey, i posted this stuff too :P, except mine was from IGN ( http://ps3.ign.com/articles/110/1104412p1.html )

From mine...
They managed to push the 3DS hardware quite far, upping the detail on backgrounds and characters over the PS2 original. Said Kojoima of the character models, "The high level models are about the same quality as the stuff we made on the PlayStation 3, although it's tough to see this. If we'd had a bit more time, we could have made something better."

The graphics are PS2 level.
#4gransPosted 7/7/2010 10:38:05 AM
How did you figure it's PS2 level when Kojima just said the game detail was upped from the PS2 game and it comes to the same quality as PS3? He actually claims the game is similar quality to a PS3 game... Or was that a typo?
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#5AnotherVisitorPosted 7/7/2010 10:41:31 AM
inb4 butthurt PSP fans rail you about him not meaning comparable poly count. Those types are really getting amusing, just the other day I saw a post that if you want true 3D, you should get a Sony TV, as if Nintendo's 3D tech is inferior and not "true".
---
The stars we could reach were just starfish on the beach.
#6ShinibiPosted 7/7/2010 10:44:13 AM
Then it is better than PS2 :D
#7ozfunghiPosted 7/7/2010 11:05:33 AM
In a different article, Myamoto says the system is better balanced than Wii, and has more advanced shaders. Polycount is still up in the air, but so far, i'd say this is definitely above PS2 (of course, taking the low resolution into account).

---
***The Kid is in rare form tonight***
/////////////www.doublegum.be/////////////
#8MetroidJunkiePosted 7/7/2010 11:13:58 AM
I'm guessing the 3DS has to cut back on the polygon count when too many shaders are used. It could be because it's early in development but Resident Evil: Revelations has a noticeable sacrifice in terms of polygon count (Can see slight blockiness in models, especially in closeup shots).
#9xnamkcorPosted 7/7/2010 12:04:10 PM
My guess is it was done with lower polycount but textures that themselves added depth. I wouldn't be surprised if the 3DS could acheive ingame graphics similar to PS2 and the main difference between the PS2 and PS3 is resolution. At the 3DS resolution, it's doable.
#10ozfunghiPosted 7/7/2010 12:35:44 PM
The MGS demo was done under two months (Kojima said so) by a small team that was working on a different floor, in secret, on the project. I doubt they didn't put more effort into MGS on ps2.

And the main difference between ps2 and ps3 isn't resolution.

---
***The Kid is in rare form tonight***
/////////////www.doublegum.be/////////////