how much are you putting away for the 3DS and are you going to a midnight launch

#1Grunt40Posted 7/9/2010 1:00:31 PM
I'm putting away $350. This thing won't be more then $200 and games I imagine will be $40, so I'll get 3 or so games, depending what's available at release. I'm going to the midnight release since I'm sure this thing will have a shortage
---
3DS is going to be the best portable ever and hopefully one of the best consoles ever.
#2KogaSteelfangPosted 7/9/2010 1:48:18 PM
Why does everyone assume it'll be less than $200?

No midnight launch for me.
I'll wait till price is announced and save up enough to buy it and possibly a game.
---
Supported by wings of faith, Wielding a sword of light.
I am a believer.
#3MRW1215Posted 7/9/2010 1:59:25 PM
I was going to start "saving up", but I came into an unexpected bit of extra cash, so money is no longer an issue for me, when it comes to the 3DS. :) As for a midnight launch, no, definitely not. I never do that kind of thing; I'm not a very "night time" person, where I'm out crazy hours of the night to buy video games. I'm hoping, though, this doesn't turn into a Wii situation, where you can't get the thing for, like, two years, unless you camp out at a store before it opens. I'm hoping to snag a pre-order online, preferably on Amazon because they don't charge me sales tax. :p
---
http://www.last.fm/user/xparasite1215
http://backloggery.com/mrw1215
#4Grunt40(Topic Creator)Posted 7/9/2010 2:01:08 PM

Why does everyone assume it'll be less than $200?

No midnight launch for me.
I'll wait till price is announced and save up enough to buy it and possibly a game.

well think about it... the Wii is 200 dollars. Why would the price a portable to cost more then a console? Nintendo wants to make money off this. Plus there's an article somewhere about the price tag will be 200 or less.
---
3DS is going to be the best portable ever and hopefully one of the best consoles ever.
#5KogaSteelfangPosted 7/9/2010 2:04:21 PM
That article was false. I just saw 1 yesterday stating it's going to be $250.

But nintendo stated themselves the 3DS will cost more than a DS.
DSXL = $190.
More than $190 = $200 or more.
Most likely more.
---
I am a believer.
#6KogaSteelfangPosted 7/9/2010 2:08:30 PM
So no one misunderstands, the article I refered to about yesterday was just guessing too.
It's ALL guess work.
---
I am a believer.
#7silver knuxPosted 7/9/2010 2:10:07 PM
Expect the 3DS to cost more than a Wii currently goes for. When he DS came out it retailed for $200 here and at the same time a Gamecube cost only $110. Wii has seen a price drop since release as well plus Nintendo was making killer profit on the console when it was released at $250 and are still making a nice profit margin selling at even $200 each. I see no reason why Nintendo should sell the 3DS at a loss just so that it doesn't cost more than a Wii does right now. I'm expecting a $200-$250 price tag on the 3DS when it's released and I don't think anywhere in that range is unreasonable for Nintendo to sell the unit for, especially if they pack in a game or even just a demo like Metroid Prime Hunters demo with the orignal DS.
---
Wielder of the Legendary Halberd of Noobpwnage+3
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/silvex/Photos/Lego/SuperGate.png
#8MRW1215Posted 7/9/2010 2:14:07 PM

But nintendo stated themselves the 3DS will cost more than a DS.
DSXL = $190.
More than $190 = $200 or more.
Most likely more.

If I remember correctly, didn't they actually say that the 3DS costs more to produce than the current DS? That doesn't necessarily translate to "3DS = more than $200". I really can't see the DS being THAT expensive to produce, to begin with. It's running pretty old technology, after all. I'd imagine the only reason the DSi and XL are so much more expensive is more so because Nintendo knows that the DS already has a big enough install base, that they can use the revisions to milk even more extra cash from consumers.

Also, I'm almost positive the current DS models will all be getting slashed in price months before the 3DS officially arrives. I could easily see the 3DS being about $190-200, and the reason they wouldn't say that right away is to not cut the legs of the XL, so they can continue selling it for $190 for the remainder of the year before cutting the price and putting the 3DS out at a similar price point.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/xparasite1215
http://backloggery.com/mrw1215
#9koopatroopa1015Posted 7/9/2010 2:17:53 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#10koopatroopa1015Posted 7/9/2010 2:19:41 PM
I believe the 3DS will not be less than $200, but not more than $250. Seems like anything higher would be excessive for Nintendo and too much for a handheld system, and anything less would obviously be near-unprofitable. Remember Nintendo uses mass marketing as their strategy for selling their systems and games - they look to sell to a wide audience and focus on high sales and low prices.
---
Falling down isn't failure. Refusing to stand back up is.