how much are you putting away for the 3DS and are you going to a midnight launch

#11MRW1215Posted 7/9/2010 1:25:53 PM

I believe the 3DS will not be less than $200, but not more than $250. Seems like anything higher would be excessive for Nintendo and too much for a handheld system, and anything less would obviously be near-unprofitable. Remember Nintendo uses mass marketing as their strategy for selling their systems and games - they look to sell to a wide audience and focus on high sales and low prices.

Not only that, but Nintendo is pretty adamant about keeping a balance between "hardcore" and "casual" gamers. The "casual" audience is a tricky bunch, because the wrong price point can really turn them away. It was a big reason why the Wii got an initial boost in the console market, because at $250, it looked a lot nicer than the other two consoles that cost $400-600.

True, the 3DS doesn't (currently) have any direct competition, but $250+ could very easily make a lot of the "casual" market hold off on the device. Despite what the 3DS offers, I'd imagine a lot of "casual" gamers would probably still be incredibly wary about paying that much for a handheld device. I'd agree that $200-250 is probably the "safest" guess right now, but I really don't think it's out of the question for it to be a little cheaper.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/xparasite1215
http://backloggery.com/mrw1215
#12Jmart06Posted 7/9/2010 1:26:05 PM
i'm putting away a dollar
---
"the game is bassically like shadow complex with better graphics" TokoBolo on Read Dead Redemption
#13KogaSteelfangPosted 7/9/2010 1:26:44 PM
If I remember correctly, didn't they actually say that the 3DS costs more to produce than the current DS? That doesn't necessarily translate to "3DS = more than $200". I really can't see the DS being THAT expensive to produce, to begin with. It's running pretty old technology, after all. I'd imagine the only reason the DSi and XL are so much more expensive is more so because Nintendo knows that the DS already has a big enough install base, that they can use the revisions to milk even more extra cash from consumers.

The DSXL is made from even older materials, and the price has gone UP.
They said that they will not lose money on this. Which means they intend to sell at a profit, if they have been increasing the price of their 6 year old system, I strongly suspect their much stronger, more expensive to produce, more capable next gen system to be more expensive. I see it between $229 and $249.

Also, the chip used in the 3DS may not be that old. iirc there is a 2006 model, and a 2008 model. Also, it's not impossible that they had the company produce a custom chip for the 3DS.
---
Supported by wings of faith, Wielding a sword of light.
I am a believer.
#14The_BonesPosted 7/9/2010 1:28:08 PM
I've already saved up and if work allows it I will go to the midnight launch provided there is one.
#15snowman_5Posted 7/9/2010 1:28:14 PM
i'm fourteen so i'm trying to get as much money as i can get. me getting a 3DS at (midnight) launch solely depends on whether i have the money when it comes out. as for price, i see it definatley being 200-250. wii was 250 at launch, so 3ds wont be any more expensive than that.