You think 3D movies will do well on the 3DS?

#1Hide_The_ButterPosted 7/9/2010 6:11:34 PM
Well?
#2turtleman64Posted 7/9/2010 6:14:00 PM
Possibly.
#3scarycrayonsPosted 7/9/2010 6:34:10 PM
Not at that screen size.

It's kinda like how UMDs flopped because nobody really wants to buy a movie on a small handheld when they can buy a movie on a common format that can be played on TVs and PCs.

Sure, people will buy a few 3D movies at launch, kinda like how a bunch of people bought Spiderman 3 on UMD when the PSP came out, but I think that kinda thing will die out as soon as 3DTVs become more common.

---
http://scarycrayons.weebly.com/
#4link_161Posted 7/9/2010 9:16:49 PM
Ya i agree I don't think they will do too well, however if its a nice little download on the go kinda thing it might be nice for traveling. Are they going to have a download service for movies? I think thats the only way it could do good really, just out of sheer convenience
---
"All of time and space, Everywhere and anywhere, every star that ever was...where do you want to start?"- The Doctor
#5TeremeiPosted 7/9/2010 9:26:23 PM
Well UMDs were disc based. If 3DS movies are cart based then yes don't expect much. If however they have movies as part of the 3DS nintendo shop channel then I think it would do quite well. You have to remember anyone who is a 3D buff but can't afford a large 3D tv might actually download some full movies just to watch them in 3D even on a small handheld. I know I would.
---
last &&: Trinity Universe
$$ soon: DQIX (ds), Metroid Other M (Wii), Arc Rise Fantasia (Wii), PSmove bundle (PS3)
#6WahahaNamePosted 7/9/2010 10:22:36 PM
I think they'll do great (if it's for a fair price). You people are forgetting that a lot of people will want to own 3D movies (as the whole 3D thing is the current trend) and there is pretty much no other competition since most people don't have the money for 3D TVs.
#7UmaKamiPosted 7/9/2010 11:06:18 PM
Well, that'll depend on the cost and how it's distributed. This is how I, personally, think something like that should be handled.

Put up a new section in the DSiWare store thingy a place to RENT 3D movies and have them put straight to system where it'll sit and be accessible for a time period before being deleted. Have the pricing something like a red box where's it's a buck a day (or 100 Wii points per day) and there you have it. At least, that's how I'd like to do it.

Now, I don't know how the hardware will work, what the size of a 3D movie would be in DS accessible format or anything like that. But I just don't see 3D movies being successful in cartridge form. Look at what happened with PSP and UMD movies.
#8scarycrayonsPosted 7/9/2010 11:30:28 PM
The only problem with the idea of downloadable 3D movies is that, due to them having two images, they'll be twice the filesize of a regular movie.

Given how long it takes to download a relatively tiny N64 game from the Wii VC (around 50mb, I think?), consider having to download a 1.5GB movie file from Nintendo's servers! (Assuming that a movie would be 700mb x 2 'viewpoints'.)

There's also the case of whether the DS internal memory will even have enough space to download a movie...

---
http://scarycrayons.weebly.com/
#9UmaKamiPosted 7/9/2010 11:34:41 PM
Oh, well then... um...
LIVE STREAM 3D MOVIES ON THE 3DS OVER NINTENDO'S SERVERS!

O.O! Just kidding-just kidding! Don't hurt me *cowers*
#10SDSSocietyPosted 7/9/2010 11:35:38 PM
It's kinda like how UMDs flopped because nobody really wants to buy a movie on a small handheld when they can buy a movie on a common format that can be played on TVs and PCs.

Raises hand. I enjoy buying movies on a small handheld. Has come in handy SO many times for us.

---
Violence is the last resort of a limited mind.