Is Nintendo holding back solid info on the 3DS for the sake of the DS?

#1extreme32Posted 7/17/2010 5:00:28 PM
Giving solid details about the 3DS right now would potentially kill off a segment of the market that doesn't have DSs, but more likely people who haven't upgraded from their Lite/Phat DS. Nintendo would love for people to continue buying DSi's and DSiXls through the summer and into the fall.

The original DS was announced at E3 2004 and was a complete surprise, at that point the GBA was only 3 years old. The DS was announced as a third pillar platform, to compliment the Gamecube and the GBA (in case it failed), but in reality it was simply tech they were working on, and it was rushed up with 2 screens and a touch screen to release just a few months prior to the PSP (March 2005 US). Remember the PSP had an enormous buzz at E3 2004, it was an incredible leap from the GBA, it looked to be the next PS2. This is exactly why Nintendo made it clear the the DS would be released that year, and why they were not cryptic about it, like they're being with the 3DS.

This year the 3DS has no real competition save from Nintendo themselves. There's no need to rush a launch date and price, because the ambiguity surrounding the 3DS can still lead to many people getting DSi's and more importantly, DS software. Even so, it's almost certain that the 3DS will be out for this holiday season, but the launch details will be a closely guarded secret.

I'd expect the 3DS to be released in late November, but only announced to retailers a few weeks in advance. Reggie Fils Aime was apparently corrected about his 2011 release, and might not have wanted people who were on the fence for DSL/DSi/XL to wait for Christmas. Also the 3DS was stated to be released in all major regions at the same time, by 2011.

The fact that the DS was announced at e3 2004, and came out that November leads me to believe the 3DS will be a holiday release. The president of NOA being corrected about his stint on Jimmy Fallon (http://ds.kombo.com/article.php?artid=8068) is also another indicator. Finally I wouldn't be surprised if the 3DS was launched late and stealthily this year because for one; it'll be hard to mass produce many 3DS's for launch anyway, and they do not want to curb potential DSiXL sales, especially if the 3DS and XL will have fairly similar price points.

Ultimately it's a matter of Nintendo competing with themselves that puts 3DS marketing hype on the backburner. Regardless, it will be out this year, but Nintendo doesn't need to stress the release date because there is no "PSP" looming in the background like 2004.
#2ToastIsWooshPosted 7/17/2010 5:07:40 PM
Do you think there will be a shortage of 3DSs then? If Nintendo wants people to buy regular DS systems, then doesn't that mean they will make less 3DSs, because everyone would be too busy with their regular DS? Just a thought I hope isn't true. ;_;

And I like your theory on a late November release, but I'd rather have a next year release. More time to save money up, easier to find than during the holidays and such.
---
http://i28.tinypic.com/4sg10k.jpg http://i48.tinypic.com/2ztiy2w.jpg http://i25.tinypic.com/25tun90.jpg
#3teh1337gosuPosted 7/17/2010 5:14:46 PM
Do you think there will be a shortage of 3DSs then? If Nintendo wants people to buy regular DS systems, then doesn't that mean they will make less 3DSs, because everyone would be too busy with their regular DS? Just a thought I hope isn't true. ;_;

I don't claim to be a market analyst of any kind. However judging by what I've seen in the last 15 years or so, I'd expect the 3DS to be released for Christmas with a few prime time commercials, and a fairly limited ship out. The limited availability can only make sense, for one it'll be difficult to mass produce such new technology. Also having less 3DS's around contribute to more uninformed people buying DSi's and creating a buzz with it's shortage of units.

I'm not accusing Nintendo of withholding 3DS's for Christmas T.V buzz, because I'm sure mass producing the 3DS is impossible. I'm also thinking Kid Icarus won't be quite a launch title.

Do you remember the Metroid Prime Hunters demo card that came with the original DS? The 3DS will have some kind of 3D demo with Kid Icarus, and their staple launch game will be something similar to Mario 64 DS, in that it'll be an updated port ready for the holidays. It could easily be Starfox or Orcarina of time.
---
Now playing: Deadly Creatures (Wii), de Blob (Wii), Killzone 2 (PS3)
#4Megaman OmegaPosted 7/17/2010 5:49:29 PM
Well, i'm not complaining if we won't get all of these games right away. I can't play all of them at the same time.
---
Official Vaporeon of the B/W Boards
Proud member of M.U.K.
#5apollooooPosted 7/17/2010 5:57:04 PM
nintendo might want to give the ds a little longer lifespan
---
How do I get Bowser in "Furry" mode? -Koopa_Troopa92-
Official Saix of the Birth by Sleep Board
#6ArkanaXPosted 7/18/2010 8:04:00 PM
^Isn't 4 years enough?
---
"I may or may not be indecisive i just can't decide." RSJGamerPro
#7GTRagnarokPosted 7/18/2010 8:11:32 PM
Mmmm....sake.

---
One of the Dedicated 500 - #33, #309
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=570526&topic=47462663
#8FlipManV3Posted 7/18/2010 8:20:55 PM

And I like your theory on a late November release, but I'd rather have a next year release. More time to save money up, easier to find than during the holidays and such.

Regardless of holidays and such, if the demand is still somewhat short, it will still sell out completely and the competition is the same.
Moms(ones that go for holidays) will still be beat in line by standard gamers.

---
Now playing: Final Fantasy XIII, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Pokémon SoulSilver, Super Street Fighter IV
Waiting for: Ummm..Gears of War 3?
#9xfactorPosted 7/18/2010 9:30:37 PM
If you view it from the opposite side of the perspective, it is also possible that Nintendo will release it pre-Christmas to sell buckloads of the 3DS for hype purpose. If the initial sales are good, the words will get around in which causes more people to buy it. It really doesn't matter much to Nintendo, since both scenarios will benefit them anyway.

And when you think deeper now, should these people purchased a DSi during holiday season, they will have a lower chance of getting a 3DS when it debuts soon after. This might ruined the initial sales.

I do hope they hold off the 3DS though. The DS sales are pretty close to overtaking the PS2 now. The DS have a very high chance of becoming the most selling videogame machine after the holiday season if the 3DS didn't shows up so soon. On the other hand, Ubisoft seems to hint that the 3DS will be out this year (they said no AC next year, and there's an AC title in the work for 3DS. They also said they plan to have 6 to 8 titles for the 3DS launch)
---
www.capcom.co.jp/bio5
#10ao_bomberPosted 7/19/2010 6:23:25 PM

^Isn't 4 years enough?

6 years you mean.
---
PKMN Diamond FC: 2577_9708_9318
PKMN SoulSilvr FC: 5285_3956_8512