were you let down with the wii's motion control quality?

#1dspmusikPosted 7/18/2010 8:28:07 PM
Reading months of articles, watching videos before the Wii came out, I was very excited. After getting it at launch, I have enjoyed all 3 good games, and now use it mainly for Netflix.
I will be getting a 3ds at launch just like I did with the other DS generations (not XL though).
The question is: can the 3d implementation be as good as we are imagining it?
The problem for me with the Wii is that 90% of the motion controls (pre motion +, but even now) were simply boiled down to shaking the remote for a function that could've been mapped to a button.
Somewhat related, do you pay the extra 30% to see movies in 3d at the theater?
---
It's not until you realize you have earned hell that you can be granted access to heaven.
#2FlipManV3Posted 7/18/2010 8:31:15 PM
That's a little different concept.
3D is already a widely used concept and stereograms have been around forever.

While motion control was certainly not new on its own. It is the first of its kind.
And while being the first, people already had doubts about it before coming out.

---
Now playing: Final Fantasy XIII, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Pokémon SoulSilver, Super Street Fighter IV
Waiting for: Ummm..Gears of War 3?
#3gransPosted 7/18/2010 8:37:19 PM
Considering we know Wii motion controls (even without Motion+) can work when done right, it's the developer's fault when it ends up sucking. You can't blame a system for developer incompetence.

It's possible there could be a similar issue with the 3DS, but 3D is already a very mature concept and i doubt it will be as much of an issue. And although 3D can be used to enhance gameplay in terms of depth perception, it's going to be used more as a graphical wow and something to immerse you into the action more. It's not something that has to be wisely implemented by a developer in order to constantly be used in gameplay as a control method or whatever.
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#4dspmusik(Topic Creator)Posted 7/18/2010 8:40:57 PM
grans, that's exactly what i was thinking. a nice graphical touch (along w/improved graphics), which i think is a good way to go.
keeping what works about handheld gaming, but with a more polished look, and a new amazement factor.
---
It's not until you realize you have earned hell that you can be granted access to heaven.
#5StepmaniarunnerPosted 7/23/2010 9:12:58 PM
I don't think I was too let down. At first, it was really fun and I enjoyed it. Then after a while, I just didn't didn't like the Wii as much. It was a novelty. I think the Wii made me take baby steps in to disappointment rather than a big crash at once. However, I have to say I'd rather have had the Wii than not have it. I think that the 3DS will be better since 3rd party companies won't make sh*t and make quality work.
#6zhangliao1Posted 7/23/2010 10:33:05 PM
yeah i was kinda let down at the start but it still worked really well for a lot of things
motion + fixed the remaining issues for me though the new zelda is going to rule
---
"There are many children's books that teach morals, but I don't go around worshipping mother goose." - Dynalo
#7Mario_BonesPosted 7/23/2010 10:47:49 PM
The 3DS won't have shovelware I hope, I couldn't find any good games because the retailers were overstocked on shovelware and only discounted all that crap
---
Not changing this signature until there is an Ace Attorney character playable in a Capcom Vs. Game. Starting date: 22nd July
#8teh1337gosuPosted 7/23/2010 11:48:32 PM
The 3DS won't have shovelware

Considering that the 3DS won't have any competition for a while, it's safe to say that there will be a tonne of shovelware unless Nintendo doesn't allow it.
---
Now playing: Persona 4 (PS2), de Blob (Wii), Killzone 2 (PS3)
#9Mario_BonesPosted 7/23/2010 11:50:26 PM
Well, it won't have as much at least. There were a billion Wii Sports ripoffs and other crap on the Wii that "casual" gamers all bought because they knew jack about games..
The DS had all those godawful "Dogz" and "Catz" and even "Hamsterz" (WTF?), and other crap, which hopefully Nintendo will cut down on if they're serious about this being a more hardcore console.
---
Not changing this signature until there is an Ace Attorney character playable in a Capcom Vs. Game. Starting date: 22nd July
#10Megaman OmegaPosted 7/24/2010 2:23:51 AM

The DS had all those godawful "Dogz" and "Catz" and even "Hamsterz" (WTF?), and other crap, which hopefully Nintendo will cut down on if they're serious about this being a more hardcore console.

Implying that anyone cared about this kind of games?

They can put as many gargabe games on it as they want, as long as i got my good games, i'm fine. Gameplay of your games don't change no matter wether there are 0, 100 or 1000 crap games for casuals coming out for every good game.
---
Official Vaporeon of the B/W Boards
Proud member of M.U.K.