I have eye lasik surgery on weds..

#31Reptile12345Posted 7/23/2010 8:45:04 AM
Whatchagonnado.

I've always wondered if Lasik could do anything with my super high prescription, but as I hear you need to get maintenance done every 10 years or something like that, I figured that I'd wait until my 30's to look into it.

I heard that you can't have this type of surgery if you are THAT blind. I was just on the limit with my 7.50 eye. If you would, it would destroy your eye because you don't have enough lens in your eye to cut from. Even with the best technology (because I didn't used lasik) and a lens that was bigger than most people, I was borderline for this surgery.
#32teh1337gosuPosted 7/23/2010 2:50:29 PM
am i the only gamer that stay for a long time in front of screens for 1 and 3/4 decades with 20/20 with both eyes?

Staring at screens through your life doesn't make you nearsighted. It's a combination of genetics and how you use your eyes before you're 4-5 years old.

For example, we're all born farsighted, which means as babies/ young kids we cant see close well. Over time all the close activities we do makes our eyes get closer to 0 diopters (essentially can see all distances). However over stimulating the close work at a young age can make the eyes need negative lenses to balance out to zero.

I think 1/3 of the population could use glasses, and about 1/4 does use them. Regardless people with perfect vision under 40 need reading glasses for small print at 40-45+. That means 100% of the population needs glasses ages 43+. Let's say the average lifespan is 75-80, this means that every single person alive long enough will need glasses for half their life.

Enjoy your perfect close/far vision while it lasts, because it goes out the window at 40+.
---
Now playing: Persona 4 (PS2), de Blob (Wii), Killzone 2 (PS3)
#33Megaman OmegaPosted 7/23/2010 3:40:57 PM
That's right. Stuff like looking at screens for a long time, reading in the dark and so on don't harm your eyes. The only thing that can happen is that your eyes start to ache for the rest of the day. The only way your eyes can be damaged by looking at something is if they are exposed to strong radiation, like a laser or looking at the sun with binoculars.

The reason why less people wore glasses decades ago isn't because they didn't watch at screens all the time. They also had these problems, they just didn't do anything about it.
---
Official Vaporeon of the B/W Boards
Proud member of M.U.K.
#34Sano_skyPosted 7/23/2010 4:30:01 PM
3 in one eye and 3.25 in the other.

Geez I cant comprehend how bad some of your guys eye sight is!
cuz I had trouble with the big E on the eye chart bet you guys couldn't see the Giant G (bigger than the E)
---
WFC: 2757-4808-2093-9515
Waste O' Topic.