Here's to hoping the majority of the games don't *require* a stylus

#1LordBowserPosted 7/24/2010 8:44:10 AM
Before you jump on my case, what I mean is that I am hoping that the majority of the 3DS games don't use a stylus for control as the only option.

Some games that required it had a good control scheme (the Zelda games for the DS had good controls, so I did not mind), while many others had horrible controls that, in my opinion, ruined the game (Starfox Command).

Looking at screenshots of games like Starfox 64 has me worried, because excellent games could be ruined by poor controls. I am aware that not everyone is against stylus controls, I'm sure that lots of people enjoyed games like Starfox Command's controls, but I did not. Again, forcing them on me literally ruined the game for me.

Games like Super Mario 64 DS were excellent with their controls. You had the choice of using the control pad or using the stylus. Metroid Prime Hunters was the same way, and I deeply appreciated it.

So, here's to hoping 3DS games do not *require* the DS as the stylus as the only form of control.
---
I am Lord Bowser, King of the Koopas! Bwahaha..
Playing Bowser on Mario Kart, and Noxus on Metroid Prime. I am not a cookie cutter!
#2LordBowser(Topic Creator)Posted 7/24/2010 8:45:06 AM
By the way, I know I'm mentioning Starfox a lot, but I'm sure there will be other examples too. Starfox command specifically shows the controls in the screenshot, and I already know how terrible the controls were in the original.
---
Playing Bowser on Mario Kart, and Noxus on Metroid Prime. I am not a cookie cutter!
#3LordBowser(Topic Creator)Posted 7/24/2010 8:45:31 AM
Er, Starfox 64 does. I wish I could edit my posts on Gamefaqs.
---
#4xnamkcorPosted 7/24/2010 8:52:30 AM
I'm calling it now.

Most games played on 3DS during the initial year will require use of the stylus or make it inconvenient not to use it.

Cookie if you figure it out.
#5AnotherVisitorPosted 7/24/2010 9:14:10 AM
I hope most games don't use 3D, touch controls, mic, cameras, the bottom screen, the top screen, the speakers or buttons. Basically you play using the dpad and the battery warning light.
---
The stars we could reach were just starfish on the beach.
#6LordBowser(Topic Creator)Posted 7/24/2010 10:12:27 AM
"I hope most games don't use 3D, touch controls, mic, cameras, the bottom screen, the top screen, the speakers or buttons. Basically you play using the dpad and the battery warning light."
You're not half as clever as you think you are. Sorry.

That said...

I don't enjoy stylus movement. I never have, I never will. There are rare exceptions in games like Phantom Hourglass Zelda where it's comfortable, but otherwise it's just akward and confusing. It makes the game harder to play just for a little more 'precision'. Certain people enjoy it, I do not. I'm not saying it should be removed from everything, I just think it should be an option, not forced.

I enjoy using the touchscreen on occasion for certain options, I don't mind the mic (although it can be annoying at times too). I have never owned a DSi and I probably never will. The 'features' really didn't appeal to me.
---
#7Megaman OmegaPosted 7/24/2010 10:22:47 AM
What i want is games that either use it or not. A game that you're playing with buttons and the d-pad is fine, and so are games like the two DS Zeldas. Also, games like SM64 DS where you can choose between two well working control schemes are fine, too. But what i don't want is games that just use them so the developers can say "Hey look, our game uses it, too, we're using the system its capabilities".
---
Official Vaporeon of the B/W Boards
Proud member of M.U.K.
#8xnamkcorPosted 7/24/2010 10:52:06 AM
I liked the PS2's pressure sensitive D-Pad. You got a D-Pad and you could steer with it.
#9ShadowPhoenix81Posted 7/24/2010 11:14:34 AM
LordBowser: You... do know that Starfox 64 3D is *not* controlled by the stylus, correct?
#10PhantomSwordPosted 7/24/2010 11:20:33 AM
I hope some games don't use the 3D. According to IGN, it's likely that would make the games look twice as good, as you have to render the image twice. That gives credence to the power of the system being "near the PS3 and Xbox 360". After all, that means the graphics would be way past Wii level.
---
moonjuice7's sig. No touching.