Nintendo 3DS Hardware & Software FAQ [v2.0]
What is "StreetPass" and "SpotPass"?
-SpotPass allows the 3DS to detect wireless access points or hotspots. Basically this allows the 3DS to a automatically update when you are in Nintendo hotspots or a wireless LAN is detected.
-StreePass also uses wireless technology to exchange information with gamers you pass [walk pass or are near?].
These modes are always on, but doesn't drain your battery while in sleep mode. Well it uses a "little energy". These modes are only used when the system power is "ON" and the 3DS is in sleep mode [when the 3DS is closed].
What features will be included with the 3DS?
- You can see 3D images without glasses on the top screen. The 3D effect can be adjusted by a slider on the side.
- A stereographic camera that takes 3D pictures. The two external cameras automatically turn photos into 3D.
- New input interfaces: slide pad, motion sensors, and a gyro sensor.
- Communication while in sleep mode: The 3DS automatically connects to Wi-Fi spots and Nintendo Zones to download game data, demos, and videos.
- StreetPass Mode Ė Similar to Dragon Quest IX the Nintendo 3DS exchanges data with other 3DS users. This feature works for multiple titles.
- DS functions work within games. You can visit the home menu, notification lists, and internet browser while playing a game.
- Built-in software: Like the Nintendo DSi, the Nintendo 3DS comes preloaded with apps. You can use the Nintendo 3DS Camera, 3DS Sound, Mii Studio, Spotpass - StreetPass mode Mii Plaza, AR Games.
- Introductory videos and rankings can be downloaded from the internet.
- Software purchased on a Nintendo DSi and/or Nintendo DSi XL can be transferred to and from a Nintendo 3DS. There is a limit of how many times you can transfer software, but Nintendo has not announced a number.
- Backwards compatible with Nintendo DS and Nintendo DSi software.
- Parental controls can be set for the web browser and what software can be run.
- A Mii editor/creation studio will be available for the 3DS and will avaialble to share with other 3DS users and possible "in-game" functions.
- 3DS can store data for multiple games at once, and you donít even have to be playing the game in order for that to happen. That data can be transferred to other 3DS systems wirelessly.
- Selecting notifications from a list.
- There will be 6 augmented reality games included right out of the box.
- A light will be on the upper-right corner of the device, near the R button, and it will show you when another 3DS has passed by you, and that new data has been received.
Are there any other things the 3DS features outside of gaming?
Yes. The 3DS also supports 3D movie playback. Nintendo is working with and has reportedly have contracts with Dreamworks, Warner Bros, and Disney. Some of the companies had there 3D movies playing on the Nintendo 3DS at E3 2010. Iwata wants the 3DS to be used as a 3D movie player as well.