Shigeru Miyamoto "Nintendo games are not an art but products"

#1MuZemikePosted 6/21/2011 5:50:51 PM
Here is the quote from the interview.
Shigeru Miyamoto "What we have created are not an art but products. For us, the most important are the customers and not games themselves. I always tell staff to call Nintendo games products, not an art."

Source (in Japanese)
http://gamez.itmedia.co.jp/games/articles/0910/27/news082_3.html
#2PhantomSwordPosted 6/21/2011 5:52:49 PM
"Mr. Miyamoto even continues as follows. "We always ideal for the future rather than have only the best aiming now f***able. Always harder, I just have continued to pursue the short term" (Miyamoto)"

So... do you know Japanese...? Because Google Translate *looks up* doesn't seem to cut it...
---
My favorite part of the day is when she dance in the mirror.
#3VampireRoninPosted 6/21/2011 5:53:09 PM
UH OH
---
"Time to fry, yeah, FRY BABY!!!"
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k261/memjr/purge.jpg
#419darkdenizen92Posted 6/21/2011 5:53:32 PM
Meh. As long as what he cares about is the end product for the consumer, then I don't really care what he calls it.
---
Consoles are like girls, its what you put in them that makes them fun.
#5dunkisPosted 6/21/2011 6:02:30 PM
Actually, it's a very true concept that developers should really consider. Your games are not art projects. Stop doing what pleases you. Listen to what the gamers want and then maybe, just maybe they'd keep buying your games? Strange concept isn't it? The gamers buying what they wanted?
---
3DS 3394-3558-7825
#6VampireRoninPosted 6/21/2011 6:06:22 PM
Who are these "gamers" you speak of?
---
"Time to fry, yeah, FRY BABY!!!"
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k261/memjr/purge.jpg
#7meiyukiPosted 6/21/2011 6:13:49 PM
Actually, it's a very true concept that developers should really consider. Your games are not art projects. Stop doing what pleases you. Listen to what the gamers want and then maybe, just maybe they'd keep buying your games? Strange concept isn't it? The gamers buying what they wanted?

Actually it's about striking a balance, gamers don't always know what they want. And lets face it, even if you gave some direction but had a game built by popular vote it would almost likely turn out terrible. Consider all the times you found some new game that had a strange new concept and it turned out amazing, would that ever be created if they purely listened to gamers, not likely, someone had a vision and did it. So they can't ignore the players, but they also need to take control sometimes and tell them you don't know what you want.
#8Wynters387Posted 6/21/2011 6:20:10 PM
In my opinion i still find many games out there are art even though they could be considered products. Several Nintendo games I feel are beautiful from an artistic point of view.
Now let's imagine a gaming world filled with Van Goghs and michelangelos. (i know i'm going to extremes). I'magine the worlds and games you'll see. a lot of colors swirling through the air and confusing graphics where you don't know where to go. People screaming in your face. and don't forget my favorite level color blotches that just seem thrown together but really tell the story of a mother who lost her husband and is raising her child on the mean streets of texas..... It would be one hell of an LSD trip.... I"M IN i want artistic games.
---
3DS friend code: 0087-2310-3975 Currently playing Lego LoZ: OOT, Samurai Warriors: Chronicles, and LoZ: LA... Can't wait for Kid Icarus.
#9r_m_8_8Posted 6/21/2011 6:22:42 PM
His point is that they should focus on the consumer.

He's the guy who made a game about a dinosaur-riding fat plumber who grows when he touches mushrooms. That doesn't sound like something a marketing team would plan.
---
Play games, not systems. There are people who like games that you don't, grow up.
#10Kitt ThrustPosted 6/21/2011 6:31:28 PM
poor translation... as was posted earlier

"Aims to have only the best f***able now"

Mr. Miyamoto even continues as follows. "We always ideal for the future rather than have only the best aiming now f***able. Always harder, I just have continued to pursue the short term"

LOL google translate