So this one Super Mario Land review is really making me think...

#1metroid00700Posted 7/6/2011 12:20:05 PM
So, I'm on the borderline of getting Super Mario Land. I had it as a kid and liked it, and then I saw this review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq9cgd00UkA . Now, usually I watch reviews for just a basic idea of how a game plays and whether its right for me, and I usually love this reviewer. This is one of few reviews I find different of his.

The review seems well written, and I can't deny the flaws he points out. Here is the description of the video: Classic Game Room presents a CGRundertow review of Super Mario Land from Nintendo for the Game Boy. Released in 1989, Super Mario Land was a launch title for Nintendo's groundbreaking Game Boy. It would go on to sell more than 18 million copies in its lifetime and play a critical role in the breakout success of Game Boy. In this controversial review, however, Classic Game Room's Derek points out three main flaws in what he considers to be the worst Super Mario game of all-time. He bases his criticisms on the game's flawed gameplay mechanics, awkward appearance and decidedly un-Mario feel. This video review features video gameplay footage of Super Mario Land for the Game Boy and audio commentary from Classic Game Room's Derek.

The main thing I remember is the jumping did suck, though I'm not sure how much it effects the overall enjoyment of the game now. Did I just love this as a kid or is it still a great game? What did you all think of the review? Is he right or crazy?

tl;dr I want to buy SML but a reviewer I usually like bashed the living daylights out of it and having not played it in forever, I may agree. I haven't played it so I could've just liked it because it was Mario and I do remember jumps being hard.
---
www.youtube.com/ONLYUSEmeFEET My Gaming Videos!
www.twitter.com/ONLYUSEmeFEET I game and type with my feet as well!
#2trenkenPosted 7/6/2011 12:22:18 PM
I didnt read the review, but I just beat this game over the weekend. It's ok, decent platformer. It barely feels like a mario game which is kind of odd.

It's also pretty challenging, but they do have the save state feature which is totally cheating, but you dont get continues in this game, so I used it. You lose all your guys and you're starting over, unless you use the save state thingy.
---
One free month of PSN+, and all I have to do is hand over my personal info to hackers? That sounds like a sweet deal, where do I sign? -- 3DS 1504-5688-7256
#3trenkenPosted 7/6/2011 12:25:52 PM(edited)
By the way, it's good, just not sure how great it really is. Its good for a handheld game I guess, but obviously next to something like mario 3 or something like that, its not that great.
---
One free month of PSN+, and all I have to do is hand over my personal info to hackers? That sounds like a sweet deal, where do I sign? -- 3DS 1504-5688-7256
#4Kitt ThrustPosted 7/6/2011 12:25:37 PM
it's only $3.99. I say go for it, the nostalgia is worth it.
---
Go Go Big Underpants !!!!
http://i.imgur.com/LBWlN.jpg - http://i.imgur.com/K0UBk.jpg - http://i.imgur.com/xzXVR.png
#5CorruptedRPGPosted 7/6/2011 12:25:40 PM
You get continues for every 100,000 points
---
C. Playing:
#6trenkenPosted 7/6/2011 12:27:11 PM
CorruptedRPG posted...
You get continues for every 100,000 points

I didnt even know that. Guess I wasnt exactly a scoring champ when I was playing. I got pissed when I got to world 2 and has to do world 1 over when I lost all my lives, so I started cheating my way through it. Didnt regret it either, donthave the time to be starting games over from the beginning these days.
---
#7Nin3DSFanPosted 7/6/2011 12:31:56 PM
OK, so there are hundreds of games that are better than Super Mario Land, but it's definitely NOT the "worst (Super) Mario game of all time". I'm pretty sure that Wrecking Crew is worse than SML.
But if there was a game that I would consider THE worst Mario game of all time, I'm pretty sure Hotel Mario should be pretty far down the bottom.
#8DemonSeal-CursePosted 7/6/2011 12:33:02 PM
metroid00700 posted...
So, I'm on the borderline of getting Super Mario Land. I had it as a kid and liked it, and then I saw this review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq9cgd00UkA . Now, usually I watch reviews for just a basic idea of how a game plays and whether its right for me, and I usually love this reviewer. This is one of few reviews I find different of his.

The review seems well written, and I can't deny the flaws he points out. Here is the description of the video: Classic Game Room presents a CGRundertow review of Super Mario Land from Nintendo for the Game Boy. Released in 1989, Super Mario Land was a launch title for Nintendo's groundbreaking Game Boy. It would go on to sell more than 18 million copies in its lifetime and play a critical role in the breakout success of Game Boy. In this controversial review, however, Classic Game Room's Derek points out three main flaws in what he considers to be the worst Super Mario game of all-time. He bases his criticisms on the game's flawed gameplay mechanics, awkward appearance and decidedly un-Mario feel. This video review features video gameplay footage of Super Mario Land for the Game Boy and audio commentary from Classic Game Room's Derek.

The main thing I remember is the jumping did suck, though I'm not sure how much it effects the overall enjoyment of the game now. Did I just love this as a kid or is it still a great game? What did you all think of the review? Is he right or crazy?

tl;dr I want to buy SML but a reviewer I usually like bashed the living daylights out of it and having not played it in forever, I may agree. I haven't played it so I could've just liked it because it was Mario and I do remember jumps being hard.

Mark should have reviewed it, then again, it doesn't have flamethrowers lmao.
---
All The Feels We Share, and I Just Don't Care.
PSN: PoisonFang27 XBL: PoisonFang27
#9Nin3DSFanPosted 7/6/2011 12:46:18 PM
OK, so it's not exactly the BEST as I said, before, but it is HARDLY, as he basically describes it, "the worst freaking pile of scumbag garbage that ever graced this planet" (that 'award' goes to Colin Myler).
#10baconcow1812Posted 7/6/2011 1:05:16 PM
I used to own it when it first came out. I don't plan on buying it. It is a poor Mario platformer compared to others like SMB3 and SMW, two games that go for around the same cost. The game has weird mechanics and odd detection with enemies (plan on landing directly next to a Goomba several times when you would think Mario easily hit it). Not a bad game, but there are dozens of better platformers out there on GBA, DS, and SNES. Not to mention, it is like 30 minutes long.
---
"the hell!?"