So this one Super Mario Land review is really making me think...

#21metroid00700(Topic Creator)Posted 7/6/2011 5:02:39 PM(edited)
CorruptedRPG posted...
metroid00700 | Posted 7/6/2011 8:35:29 PM | message detail | quote
Kirby is WAY harder than SML and its mechanics seem to have aged better. 2 Life Kirby+Hard mode>>>>>SML difficulty. I'd get so much more out of Kirby, plus I plan on swooning female casuals with Kirby because every girl I meet loves the thing so might as well make my 3DS an ice breaker.

Now I remember you. Still need to make up silly challenges to artificially increase the difficulty of Kirby? Try beating SML without picking up a single power-up on Hard Mode.

SML >>>>>> KDL by far.

That was one of the worst reviews I've ever seen and does SML no justice. The physics and controls are a bit wonky but the gameplay is still great. At least SML is a 10 minute game like Kirby.

Oh I remember you. You only play games at face value and lack the creative drive to make your games replayable in fun ways. I mean, 3 came out in the same year and is regarded as the best Mario game of all time, so its odd this is one of the worst. Another thing I forgot is the game looks insanely small. Not a big deal to most, but I'm playing 3DS with my feet, and I can see many deaths coming from my lack of vision. I will say I did not realize SML had a hard mode, that's cool, but with floaty jumping mechanics and not the best base of a game it'd probably just frustrate me, but good to know. I'll wait for the second one, and I believe my friend got SML so maybe I'll grab this down the road if it plays well on his 3DS.
---
www.youtube.com/ONLYUSEmeFEET My Gaming Videos!
www.twitter.com/ONLYUSEmeFEET I game and type with my feet as well!
#22CorruptedRPGPosted 7/6/2011 5:21:52 PM
metroid00700 | Posted 7/6/2011 9:02:39 PM | message detail | quote | (edited)
Oh I remember you. You only play games at face value and lack the creative drive to make your games replayable in fun ways.

No. If one were to play Super Mario Land and Kirby's Dream Land for the first time without cheats and Hard Mode, Super Mario Land would easily be the victor in difficulty. A OHKO challenge on Hard Mode isn't mandatory and neither is a no power-up run. These aren't creative at all as plenty of gamers handicap themselves when a game they've beaten plenty of times poses no challenge.

I mean, 3 came out in the same year and is regarded as the best Mario game of all time, so its odd this is one of the worst.

Super Mario Bros. 3 came out in 1988 which was a year earlier than SML, so they didn't come out the same year and they weren't worked on by same dev team. SML is far from being the worst Mario game ever created, don't tell me you actally believe the reviewer.

Another thing I forgot is the game looks insanely small. Not a big deal to most, but I'm playing 3DS with my feet, and I can see many deaths coming from my lack of vision

Try the game before judging. It may be small but it's still playable.
---
C. Playing:
#23metroid00700(Topic Creator)Posted 7/6/2011 5:32:03 PM
CorruptedRPG posted...
metroid00700 | Posted 7/6/2011 9:02:39 PM | message detail | quote | (edited)
Oh I remember you. You only play games at face value and lack the creative drive to make your games replayable in fun ways.

No. If one were to play Super Mario Land and Kirby's Dream Land for the first time without cheats and Hard Mode, Super Mario Land would easily be the victor in difficulty. A OHKO challenge on Hard Mode isn't mandatory and neither is a no power-up run. These aren't creative at all as plenty of gamers handicap themselves when a game they've beaten plenty of times poses no challenge.

I mean, 3 came out in the same year and is regarded as the best Mario game of all time, so its odd this is one of the worst.

Super Mario Bros. 3 came out in 1988 which was a year earlier than SML, so they didn't come out the same year and they weren't worked on by same dev team. SML is far from being the worst Mario game ever created, don't tell me you actally believe the reviewer.

Another thing I forgot is the game looks insanely small. Not a big deal to most, but I'm playing 3DS with my feet, and I can see many deaths coming from my lack of vision

Try the game before judging. It may be small but it's still playable.

Well, I never said I totally agree with Derek, SML is probably better than 50% of other GB games, it just would probably disappoint me as a Mario fan. Also, SML being developed by Yokoi (at least I think it was him) and team is probably what made it less than amazing. Also I'd argue neither game poses a good challenge. The only challenge SML gave me (I did play it today via my old cart) this evening was the bad jumping and collision detection, and without that I think this game would be way easier. Kirby is easy, but at least it works well, and to me, it feels like the "Extra Game" was supposed to be the actual game but Nintendo decided to make it easier last second, though that's speculation. Also, to get SML's hard mode, you have to beat it which is just time consuming. Again, I think I'll have to play a friend's copy to see if the 3DS makes the screen way bigger, but playing it on my GBC today was quite a challenge. Playing handhelds 3 feet away is quite hard, and SML is the standout game that gave me a challenge today. Overall, SML isn't terrible, and calling it the worst main Mario game isn't really that big of an insult. :)
---
www.youtube.com/ONLYUSEmeFEET My Gaming Videos!
www.twitter.com/ONLYUSEmeFEET I game and type with my feet as well!