How is the 3D effect on this console?

#1Darth_KamcioPosted 7/6/2011 2:07:30 PM
I'm leaning towards buying a 3DS, however I want to do some research beforehand. The question I wanted to ask here is how good the 3D effect is. I was underwhelmed by the 3D used in TVs and can't help but think that 3D on a screen that small has to be next to non-existant.

So, how is it? And is finding the sweetspot much of a drag?
---
I love dragons!
I came to chew ass and kick bubble gum...wait, what?
#2jfitz1982Posted 7/6/2011 2:09:14 PM
Darth_Kamcio posted...
I'm leaning towards buying a 3DS, however I want to do some research beforehand. The question I wanted to ask here is how good the 3D effect is. I was underwhelmed by the 3D used in TVs and can't help but think that 3D on a screen that small has to be next to non-existant.

So, how is it? And is finding the sweetspot much of a drag?

it's in 3D. they got em at gamestores/target/walmart/best buy stands all over the place now.
---
I am nobody, nobody is perfect, therefore, I am perfect.
Now playing Lego Batman, Lego PotC, Okamiden, WindWaker, Xenosaga, L.A. Noire
#3JackstinPosted 7/6/2011 2:12:27 PM
When I tried it in a store it didnt look that great, I got it home and it was awesome.

For me I've never had a problem with the 3D and always have it on.

There's still no good games for it though, other than remakes/re-releases you may already have played.
#4wow_nowPosted 7/6/2011 2:15:02 PM
I tried it in a store and I couldn't see anything. My girlfriend who was with me was able to though.

But then I got one as a gift, and after a couple days of playing it, I was able to see 3D with minimal effort. It just takes time to get used to focusing.

The 3D looks really neat though.
#5SerpenttinePosted 7/6/2011 2:43:43 PM
I don't really notice anything different when I turn it on.
---
People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both. - Benjamin Franklin
#6panama_chiefPosted 7/6/2011 2:45:18 PM
zelda and pilot wings both have nice 3D but the "sweet spot" is small, even with the 3D scaled to the minimum.
---
YOINK!!! [[[[[[[[[[[[[[[|||||||||||||||]]]]]]]]]]]]]]] STOLEN!!!!!!!!!!!
#7Gavin_RozeePosted 7/6/2011 3:05:14 PM
The 3D was absolutely mind blowing when I first saw it, and for a month or two after, but now my eyes are so used to it I can hardly see any depth or solid objects anymore :(
---
3DS Friend Code: 0387 8761 0757.
#8daniel1232323Posted 7/6/2011 3:20:38 PM
3D is great, it is capable of pop out 3D. the most impressive displays of 3D on the system so far are. Ocarina of time, and the AR games.
#9VampireRoninPosted 7/6/2011 3:33:06 PM
Everyone I show my 3DS to that isn't "too cool" thinks the 3D is awesome. These are typically the people that never owned a handheld until they bought an iPhone, and now they think they're the technology messiah because they play "Words With Friends" while you're trying to have a conversation with them (narcissistic a-holes).

But I'm getting beside the point.

Though the technology is impressive, it does have its weaknesses.
As has already been said, the "sweet spot" (the proper viewing distance and angle) is rather constrained and you must get accustomed with the hardware to get the most out of it.

I find that it's more finicky with fully-fledged 3D games with lots of visual depth (as in distance) like Zelda. The problem is that your character is very close to you spatially, and the environment is very far, so it is difficult to be focused on the two things at once. Hold your finger 3 inches in front of your face while you read this sentence, and you'll notice you're seeing two fingers. Now imagine your finger is Link and the sentence is some bad guy 30 feet in front of him, and you should know what to expect.

This problem can be lessened by turning down the 3D slider during periods of intense action, or by learning to hold yourself steady as you play. You can't have a lazy limp wrist and expect perfect visuals.

For this reason, I normally turn the 3D off during the more mundane parts of a game. If I'm just running across Hyrule field in Zelda to get from point A to B, I shut the 3D off. When I'm fighting a new boss or appreciating the beautiful environments, I crank it up to the maximum and immerse myself.

The technological limitations are something that you get used to and adapt to. If you're the kind of person that doesn't believe you should have to keep your hands steady to view 3D without glasses, then you just don't understand how the technology works or it's just not for you, because you can't have it both ways.
---
"Time to fry, yeah, FRY BABY!!!"
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k261/memjr/purge.jpg