Honestly, I think we've come to rely on online play far too much.

#31NemerlightPosted 7/7/2011 2:31:47 PM
90% of Xbox 360 content you bought becomes unavailable when offline. I hate where online is going.

What are you talking about?
---
[This sig was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#32mahgah91Posted 7/7/2011 2:49:26 PM(edited)
darkqueenhelba posted...
Far from idiotic. It shows that a person has the insight to see a decline in overall value than anything else. It creates convenience, that's true. It's also damaging at the same time. Anyone should be able to see that.

Online gaming has always been the cornerstone of multiplayer. Sure we all have stories about sitting on a couch with our friends playing Goldeneye or Smash Bros. on the N64. But in the end, the games that were the classic gods of multiplayer gaming were games like Quake, Starcraft, Counter-Strike, Diablo II, Ultima Online, etc., games that gained the status they have only because online gaming was possible. Gaming together in real life and LAN parties and whatnot have their place but online gaming always adds more to a game than it could ever possibly take away.

darkqueenhelba posted...
Also, as usual people misinterpret the meaning of gimmick. It's shouldn't be represented as a negative, but it is indeed a gimmick. All games have them and have multiple ones at that. This shouldn't be difficult to comprehend. Yes, I believe the reliance on online gaming is damaging to the customer and will continue to get worse as far as play is concerned. When you spend more time playing an online portion of a game I think it not only detracts from the main game, but also inhibits developers to create worthwhile experiences that are just with the core game mechanics alone.

And what? To insinuate that the inclusion of online gaming takes away from a developer's ability to enhance a game properly is ridiculous. At its core, all online gaming is that, being able to play online with or against other people. If more focus is given to a game's online multiplayer portion, that's simply part of the game. Just as Kingdom Hearts will always primarily be a single player action RPG, Call of Duty will always be a military shooter with a multiplayer focus. Not only that but who are you to say that online gaming detracts from other portions for every gamer? I can enjoy Red Dead Redemption's online just as much as I can enjoy its single player. Multiplayer is just an extended application of a game's core mechanics.

You really have no ground here. Can you even name one game where the inclusion of online gaming definitely took away from the game's other features? Your rant at this point just sounds like a rant against multiplayer in general.
---
Nintendo 3DS FC: Mahgah 1547-5225-3564
#33player_threePosted 7/7/2011 2:51:00 PM
bronx718 posted...
saying online is a "gimmick" is saying multiplayer is a gimmick. what kind of logic is this? lets say a game has a compelling single player experience, why deny multiplayer if its implemented well?

New Super Mario Bros online?
SSBB with decent online?
Wii sports Resort online?
more recently Pilot Wings.....
the list of games goes on and on.....

the days of 2-4+ guys sitting on the couch trying to play through a game are long gone. why would you need that when you can be at home, full screen, relaxing but in the same competitive/shared environment? how can you not want to embrace that or view it as a gimmick? thats a very skewed look TC.....very......

For me it's about the social aspect of local MP. Nothing beats sitting in a room with good friends having fun and making fun of each other. Plus, using your logic: why go out with your friends when you can just send messages to each other through cells or facebook? That was just me thinking of an extreme. The point is I don't think local MP is long gone (at least not among my circle of friends), but I also don't think online MP is a gimmick. It's just not for everyone.
---
Aquatic Ambiance: Now that's some serious make-out music.
#34MrYellowPenguinPosted 7/7/2011 3:08:41 PM
All statements are equally idiotic. Online gaming is as much an evolution of gaming technology as anything else. Let's see if you have the time and friends who all want to come over to your house, sit around a table and play a handheld when you've got a full time job. I've got better, and frankly, more fun things to do. People excuse Star Fox's lack of online by saying it's multiplayer was nothing special. So why would I bother to find three other people to play? Online gaming creates a convenience that allows multiplayer to flourish.

Did you even read some other posters' comments? Stop assuming that we're all people against online multiplayer. I was saying that I find that it's tacked on to some games when they really don't need it. I never stated it was a bad thing. It's good in some games and it isn't in others. Developers need to learn when it's appropriate to include or not.
#35DerpyHoovesPosted 7/7/2011 3:42:30 PM
I feel that many games do not need an online, including SF643D.

That being said, "not needing" does not equate to "not wanting" or "detrimental." I feel online would work well with SF643D's simple multiplayer system, and could very well supplement the local multiplayer when one's friends are busy, asleep, nonexistant, etc.
---
Yuwai posted...
There are about 54 thursdays in a year. We'll get more eventually...
#36darkqueenhelba(Topic Creator)Posted 7/7/2011 4:19:00 PM
I would say you were the one with "no ground" here as you missed the point entirely.
---
Wii#7881-1500-1074-0649
Excitebike: 1419-6846-9793
#37panama_chiefPosted 7/7/2011 6:26:49 PM
player_three posted...

For me it's about the social aspect of local MP. Nothing beats sitting in a room with good friends having fun and making fun of each other. Plus, using your logic: why go out with your friends when you can just send messages to each other through cells or facebook? That was just me thinking of an extreme. The point is I don't think local MP is long gone (at least not among my circle of friends), but I also don't think online MP is a gimmick. It's just not for everyone.

i figured....cause that wouldve been an irrational statement. I dont think local is done. i go to fighting game tourneys and the like. but the ability to game with people(new and old) wherever they are in the world is a great feature.
---
YOINK!!! [[[[[[[[[[[[[[[|||||||||||||||]]]]]]]]]]]]]]] STOLEN!!!!!!!!!!!