My friend told me the 3D technology used is at least 20 years old.

#21GeekyDadPosted 7/8/2011 6:39:16 AM
Your friend is misinformed. The theory for how the tech works may have been around for a while, but the actual screen technology is new to the market.
---
"The hardcore you've been waiting for!"
#22theshovellerPosted 7/8/2011 6:58:21 AM
Yeah, I'd say 3d tech (the non-red-and-blue glasses variety) is about 20 years old - I saw Captain Eo in 3D down at Disney World when I was maybe 7 or 8 (about 20 years ago - I'm 27) and that used the same 3D tech that we see in theaters now for stuff like Thor and Transformers.

The glasses-free part of it? Don't know about that aspect of it - closest I know of would be maybe those "hologram" types of things - you know, where a moving image is projected onto a mirror or some such thing. I think there was an old arcade game by Sega that used that technology - Time Traveller or something? All I remember from it is some cowboy shooting indians and stuff with one of those "press the one button" gameplay setups.
#23darkqueenhelbaPosted 7/8/2011 7:03:54 AM
Another thing people forget is that the technology consumers get their hands on is always years behind the actual current standard.
---
Wii#7881-1500-1074-0649
Excitebike: 1419-6846-9793
#24trenkenPosted 7/8/2011 7:12:42 AM
GeekyDad posted...
but the actual screen technology is new to the market.

Why has Sharp has glasses free 3D monitors on the market since 2004?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/117303/sharp_ships_3d_monitor.html

Check the date of that article. I bought one of these in 2008 for about $400. Works exactly like the 3DS does, small sweet spot and all, but is much bigger so the 3D effect looks a lot more killer. Not portable obviously though. And tons of PC games support it.
---
One free month of PSN+, and all I have to do is hand over my personal info to hackers? That sounds like a sweet deal, where do I sign? -- 3DS 1504-5688-7256
#25theshovellerPosted 7/8/2011 7:15:21 AM
darkqueenhelba posted...
Another thing people forget is that the technology consumers get their hands on is always years behind the actual current standard.

That's true - Vita will have an OLED screen, which was available for years but is now affordable enough to be used in a "cheap" system. I don't think OLEDs were widely available much before now, but it's been a while since I was in the know about video stuff so I could be wrong.
#26D1TremerePosted 7/8/2011 7:32:41 AM
I just found out, video game systems use electricity as well. Turns out this was developed a good while ago, whats with all this old tech being used???
---
360 Gamer Tag: d1tremere
#27theneovegaPosted 7/9/2011 7:53:07 AM
It's funny how people think that the only 3d tech before recent times was red/blue anaglyph. It just so happened that that was the cheapest tech to deliver 3d to large groups of people for it's time. The current circular polarization method is older than anaglyph, but the need to high-definition images with true color is what has made it become the new standard. Even in the home, the active-shutter glasses that power current 3dtvs have been around since the 70s. No, none of this tech is "cutting edge", or even new hat. Just the applications.
---
Serious gamers take themselves way too seriously.