Questions about the 3DS

#1konami55321Posted 7/8/2011 4:40:49 AM
hello, I'm thinking of buying a 3DS, but before I do, I have a few questions about the 3DS shop and how it works. I have a steam account, and, to a lesser extent, a xbl account, so I'm used to buying a game and, if my system crashes, being able to recover it to another system. I've been looking up info for club nintendo, and "registering" games, but from what I read, it seems that "registering" the games only entitles you to trinkets and swag, and doesn't actually register the games in any useful fashion. What I am wondering is this; if I were to get a 3ds, (a handheld, and therefore, easily stolen piece of hardware) and it were to get stolen, would the virtual games I bought for it be gone forever, or would I be able to transfer/ re-download them to a new system? Does club Nintendo's feature of "registering" factor into that, or is it only registering in name? I'm also wondering if the same company spirit that sent free NESes to everyone who bought faulty systems aaaaaall those years ago (and the reason I maintain brand loyalty to this day) will aid me if my 3ds were to be stolen.

Basically, if I buy a 3ds, buy a virtual game for it, and then that 3ds gets stolen, would I be able to recover my game in any way, be it officially (as in the NESes) or unofficially (as in ITunes when you're computer crashes and customer support gives you "complimentary" purchases if you complain enough), and if not, is there a way to back it up?
#2Auzzie_WingmanPosted 7/8/2011 5:34:35 AM
Just like you can save music to the 2GB that comes with it, I wouldn't find it difficult to copy those files you download from the 3DS to your computer in the same way.

Problem is, will it save to another 3DS that didn't purchase the software? I don't have access to 2 3DS' to test that.
---
--- The Unofficial Citrus of the 3DS/Wii U Boards---3DS Friend Code: 1246 - 8736 - 6899
Golden Sun X Fire Emblem. You know you want it!
#3Kitt ThrustPosted 7/8/2011 5:49:35 AM

would the virtual games I bought for it be gone forever, or would I be able to transfer/ re-download them to a new system?

they are tied to the system so you would have to contact Nintendo to see if they will let you download for free again.

I'm also wondering if the same company spirit that sent free NESes to everyone who bought faulty systems aaaaaall those years ago (and the reason I maintain brand loyalty to this day) will aid me if my 3ds were to be stolen.

no.
---
Go Go Big Underpants !!!!
http://i.imgur.com/LBWlN.jpg - http://i.imgur.com/K0UBk.jpg - http://i.imgur.com/xzXVR.png
#4Nin3DSFanPosted 7/8/2011 5:49:40 AM
I'm assuming it'll be exactly like the Wii and DSi. For example, I have some VC titles on an SD card which I downloaded on my Wii. I then put the SD card in my sister's Wii, loaded the game, or at least tried to and basically it said "This game cannot be played on this wii" or "This game can only be played on the Wii on which it was originally purchased".
#5niels200683Posted 7/8/2011 5:50:36 AM
Nope, you the account you have with the e-shop (only accessed through your 3DS) is tied to your 3DS. You can copy a game from SD-card to another 3DS, but it won't work.

So if your 3DS is stolen, you lose all your downloadable games.
---
Do you believe in the Soul Cake Duck?
Einstein: My wife doesn't understand me.
#6konami55321(Topic Creator)Posted 7/8/2011 6:32:43 PM
niels200683 posted...
Nope, you the account you have with the e-shop (only accessed through your 3DS) is tied to your 3DS. You can copy a game from SD-card to another 3DS, but it won't work.

So if your 3DS is stolen, you lose all your downloadable games.

and registering a game doesn't change that?