Region Locking

#1LorenaLaruePosted 7/9/2011 7:26:36 PM
Yeah I know this is an old topic but after searching around on Google for a while I couldn't find a clear cut answer.

Does the 3DS have region locking like the Xbox 360? Where the console itself has a region code but region locking on the games is optional.
#2panama_chiefPosted 7/9/2011 7:33:29 PM
3DS games are locked. You'll need a corresponding system for a game from that region.
---
YOINK!!! [[[[[[[[[[[[[[[|||||||||||||||]]]]]]]]]]]]]]] STOLEN!!!!!!!!!!!
#3Un_FlugelPosted 7/9/2011 7:42:39 PM
There were rumors saying the region locking is optional (the Devs would have to decide) but sadly I don't think that's true...
#4chickenturkey10Posted 7/9/2011 7:57:38 PM
A cart version of freeloader would be nice. What's up with datel and the wii freeloader while I'm at it? Did they just stop trying?
---
Wii code: 3632-6979-8230-7885
#5pinktoyPosted 7/9/2011 8:14:49 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#6panama_chiefPosted 7/9/2011 8:20:48 PM
pinktoy posted...
Only reason I didn't get one and if I do get it I'll pirate everything and email nintendo that I'm doing it. It's screwed up that you pay all this money for a console and you can't play what could possibly be your favorite game ever because nintendo blocked your console on purpose to not play a game specially made for the system you bought.

Someone is going to come in here defending Nintendos decision to region lock.

It was a far from necessary addition to the system. It will take one hell of a JP lineup for me to consider a second handheld.
---
YOINK!!! [[[[[[[[[[[[[[[|||||||||||||||]]]]]]]]]]]]]]] STOLEN!!!!!!!!!!!
#7LorenaLarue(Topic Creator)Posted 7/9/2011 8:24:03 PM
sigh... I ask because among my favourites are the Taiko no Tatsujin games. I just love tapping those drums to the Japanese songs it comes with, even if Namco did port it over for Western release it would have a totally different selection of songs.

I bought the DS and PSP games but had use illegal methods to play the Wii games.
#8LightHawKnightPosted 7/9/2011 8:24:19 PM
Region locking is supposed to help companies want to localize games, but it really doesn't do much sadly. Since well those who would import, are tiny compared to those who will never import.

---
"You're in America now, Our idea of diplomacy is showing up with a gun in one hand and a sandwich in the other and asking which you'd prefer."
#9LitlroxPosted 7/9/2011 8:31:00 PM
I know for a fact that on the 3DS I am able to play import DS games without any modding. As for 3DS titles I wouldn't know since I do not own a 3DS import game. I am assuming they mean that we can not play 3DS import games on the 3DS. Though Nintendo has mentioned that there is a Region lock but confuses me that I am able to play import DS titles if it has the functionality to lock imports.
#10LightHawKnightPosted 7/9/2011 8:32:01 PM

I know for a fact that on the 3DS I am able to play import DS games without any modding. As for 3DS titles I wouldn't know since I do not own a 3DS import game. I am assuming they mean that we can not play 3DS import games on the 3DS. Though Nintendo has mentioned that there is a Region lock but confuses me that I am able to play import DS titles if it has the functionality to lock imports.

You don't know much about region locking do you? It is the games that are locked, DS games are not region locked, except for the dsi enhanced games.

---
"You're in America now, Our idea of diplomacy is showing up with a gun in one hand and a sandwich in the other and asking which you'd prefer."